Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I conceal carry because I want the bad guy to be very surprised when he is stopped from doing his evil deed!

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
I agree with all your reasons. In the past I've carried concealed in cities, usually open when in the sticks. What I don't like is the periphery rules one has to abide by when having a CC permit. For instance, in my state (where I used to carry regularly for many years) it is illegal, but with a justifiable defense argument. Meaning if it was prudent to do so when having used a concealed handgun during an incident then that would be a justifiable reason to have carried.

The laws for permit holders are so draconian that I would face stiffer penalties having been caught carrying without a permit vs. being properly registered.

For instance, a coworker friend and I both carried a few years back. He had the CCW, I didn't. We both attend the same church. If he were caught with a firearm in a "place of worship" it would have been a class 4 felony. And me without a permit, the best they could have done was a misdemeanor, with a $1000 fine and up to six months in jail. I lose my gun, he "loses" his ownership rights. That's messed up.

I also don't like that someone can run my plates in a completely different state and know I'm a gun owner. Most LEO can do that now when people get the CCW. You get a little red flag put on your DL number.

Having said that, I don't really carry much any more. Mostly because I avoid the areas I am most likely going to need a firearm. But should I find the need, I am not going to run out and get the permit. The dangers outweigh the benefits, IMO. I am most concerned about being armed at a time during social unrest. Think Katrina. Look how things operated down there. It is very telling to look into the gun confiscations that occurred down there.

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
Yes, it's a slippery slope when it comes to any kind of registration. I am not opposed to it as long as there is freedom. The advantages to getting one are obvious; It let's LEO know who the "good guy" is during a stop or responding to a call. The state to state reciprocity is also good. The potential downfalls are equally obvious. I'll just invoke Godwin now and say look at 1930's Nazi Germany. There, now we have that out of the way. :)

All that being said, I think it's very obvious that concealed is far superior in this day and age, except perhaps being in a small community where everyone is already carrying and are totally comfortable with that thought. That's not very common any more, but there are still places like that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Greetings Risasi,
Wow that is messed up!
In NH they do not keep the carry permit owner on any list or at the DMV, after all our state motto is "Live free or die" and the only time we have to tell a cop if we are carrying (During a stop) is if they ask directly otherwise we do not have to tell them up front when being pulled over, some just don't want to know and others do.
And that's why we live here!! :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Open Carry has been pushed here in Texas for a number of years, and each year it gets a bit closer to passing. Personally I'm 50/50 on it.....

Some say it would freak people out, but then again...this is Texas. If it became legal I would probably OC in places that I frequented often, knew the people, etc. Or if going to a friends house or business. I would probably never OC in someplace uber-public like the mall (which I try to stay away from anyway). I've been CCing for 10 years on a regular basis, and never thought it to be inconvenient.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I carry both ways, I don't hold the fact the the "bad guy might see my gn and attack me first" idea very much.

I CC whenever I am in a crowded place (like wal-mart) where I can't possibly keep everyone away from me and I want to limit how many people might have unintended access to my piece.
I also CC when my wife and I go to dinner.. Its just polite :D

Other than that I open carry because it offers me faster access to my firearm, provides a deterrent, and also occasionally provokes questions from passersby and gives me a chance to educate them on their 2nd ammendment rights. Plus I love all the dirty looks I get from old women when they see that I'm carrying *GASP* A GUN!

I have never had an issue either way and carry in an OWB belt slide holster that allows me to either pull my shirt over my M&P 9mm or simply tuck my shirt behind the gun exposing it. I look at it as ultimate flexibility.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I was in the Navy and the ship was in port, I was the petty officer (Boatswain Mate) of the watch. We used to stand watch on the deck at top of the Gangway with and officer who was unarmed. As the PO of the watch, We carried an empty 1911 45 on our side with two full mags on the other side for all the world to see, but really not all that threatening from the deck of a ship at least in my eyes. The younger seamen and seaman apprentices Messengers of the watch thought that was so cool and wished they were allowed to carry also. That was until I explained to them that all that 45 did for the most part was make me the first target, and a 12 year old with a cheap little 22 rifle could put a bullet in me off from a block away. Now they should also imagine of what someone with a bolt action 308 and a bad attitude towards the Us Navy could do to me and from how far out, with me laying dead on the deck never knowing anything ever hit me. All of a sudden they thought about just how cool that really was to carry a 1911 on the hip. I never forgot that, and one of the rules of war or battle is never let your enemys now your strenghts or weeknesses or what you might have or where it might come from. Open carry might be to somes liking but I'll take the element of suprise everythime. What the BG's know can get you killed way in advance,and what they don't know might get them killed.
Not trying to change anyones views on anything, just a story and how I felt in the past about carrying a 45 for all the world to see.

·
Registered
302 Posts
POPEYE,
I agree with you on the point you are trying to make, However, I think having good situational awareness at all times will see you out of more trouble than a handgun (open or concealed) will ever do. I personally believe that if it comes to the point that I need it I will need it in a hurry and I want to minimize the number of variables that could possibly screw up my drawstroke. I think that it does slightly increase the risk of an unseen attack, however, I personally have weighed the pro's and con's in my personal situation/skillset/typical social situations and have personally decided to open carry the majority of the time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree situational awareness is the key. I also agree a faster draw can be had from OC. However you could also be giving away your only tactial advantage in a situation where every tactical atvantage is cridical to your survival and those around you.
There are good and bad points either way. You have to do what's right for you personally. You'll get no argument from me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I should have added that I hate people and I think I give that vibe to those around me :D I avoid going out whenever possible and I only OC when I'm out in the open I think I said in my original post that when I am in crowded places such as Wal-Mart I CC but OC as soon as I get into the parking lot.

I feel that this gives me the best of both worlds. Inside my weapon is concealed from curious children/close-in threats but outside where a BG could pop out from behind a car my weapon is in the open and more accessible

·
Registered
93 Posts
Concealed Carry is the way to go, stops a lot of issues. The only thing I don't like about it is getting pulled over by the police, it can be a real f'd up time. My buddy was told to relinquish his weapon, at gunpoint, over a 61 in a 55 speeding violation. He was very nice to the officer but once he has your name in his Lil gadgetry, all hell breaks loose when they see cwp with your name. I was in the passenger seat, it was pretty horrendous. I had to get out and ask what the He11 the problem was. He got the gun back, along with a ticket, just a lot of hassle with some cops.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Apparently you don't reside in Texas, where it is not unusual for a LEO to why you don't have a CHL yet. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will have to disagree.. I would like to have the option to open carry or conceal carry. Where we live it is only conceal carry unless your openly displaying on your own property. I believe the open carry actually decreases crimes. Look at the States the have open carry laws.

Yes you can make a debate about the population is much less then some of the other States which could ultimately show lower crimes as a whole. When a person is thinking hey I am going to commit a crime and you roll up and see 10 people inside openly carrying you would think 3times before you do it. I believe one on one the criminals will see there targets but has a whole they will not commit the crime at that time.

Here is the issue... If you carry concealed or openly you are liable if you shoot anyone other then the criminal. So even if your doing the right thing one miss and you can face criminal charges. So maybe the laws should change to protect the person who is trying to stop a criminal. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
10 Posts
AZ has it quite near perfect.

;)The only reason anyone in AZ needs a permit is if he/she wants to cross state lines. Other than that, if you are not a "prohibited possessor" if you chose to CC it is no one's business, unless questioned by a LEO. Now if you elect to OC, the reason is your own. I always carry CC; and maintain the element of surprise!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been in the camp with Elitesports for a long while, I believe OC as a warning to
perps or criminals is quite effective, they don't to follow through with their plans ,after
seeing an armed citizen close by. Also by chance if you are not noticed , you still have the advantage of surprise.

..........................Jack

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.