Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I totally disagree with the Fanny pack.... Unless your Hulk Hogan everyone knows that a Fanny pack means Concealed carrry... I believe it will not become an asset but could ultimately become a liability. Tell us about the gun your currently using? The make and model. There are many options you may want to consider before you giving up.. Tell us about you physical appearance. Like myself I am 5"10 and about 225 athletic build. I wear 36 to 38 waist jeans depending on the name brand. So if I would carry some jeans I would need to go 38 to 40 so I could conceal my firearm. The main thing to remember is that your conceal carry gun is not your range gun. (Not meaning you should not use it from time to time) . Give us more info so we all can help and learn from your issues.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I believe the Taurus is a little thicker than the glock and the M&P on the slide. This could cause you issues finding the right holster to carry it in. I know some will say that all 9mm will fit in the same holsters, although it may fit does not mean it was designed for your weapon. This alone could cause you to have the issues your having. REMEMBER Comfort is key when conceal carrying.

I do not own a Ruger, but the Ruger LCP 380 may be an ideal Conceal Carry gun for you. It is very small really more Ideal than the Taurus or mine the M&P 40c. I unfortunately will not be able to buy any more firearms, since my wife really does not like them and I live by the saying Happy Wife Happy Life...

·
Banned
7,947 Posts
JRH,

If you're dead set to conceal carry the full size 9 mm, there are not a whole lot of options due to weight/length. Inside the waist band just doesn't work for me and outside the waist band drags my pants down like your experience. I tried in vain to find a CCW option for my Beretta 92FS M9A1 and gave up. I'm headed towards a lightweight 9 mm compact now like a Beretta Nano.

Reactions: JRedHorse

·
Registered
602 Posts
Dont kno what you are packing. but. Maybe you should change the gun. Personally i like 380s. Small light easy to carry and conceal.
Walther PPK are classic reliable, accurate weapons designed for CC. Have been used since the 1930s all over the globe. 1.5 lb. Great if you can find a german one. They are the best. But Smith & wesson makes one for around 550.
There is an Argentene on the market called Bersa Thunder. Never shot one but have seen some good reviews. Can be had for around 400.
Also like Sig Sauer P238. Great little CC weapon weighs less than 1lb. My eyes are getting older and I really like the Night sights on Sigs. Costs more than the S&W produced walthers. But lot better quality.
I really dont care about a gun that hold a bunch of rounds. I aint killing zombies.
I just like a CC weapon I can carry comfortable and know when i pull it out it is dead on with the first shot. That is all i may get.
380 is very deadly with federal high shok HP ammo.
Just something to think about that is a little out of the 9mm box..... Even tho 380 is 9mm LOL

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact is a fairly small thing:

I personally like Small-Of-Back holsters. I know many will say they're a terrible idea, but they work for me -- and I don't do any wrestling around on the ground, so the whole "you're gonna break your back" thing reminds me of "A Christmas Story."

Another option is to try your IWB holster in the SOB position, or just to the right or left (depending on your strong hand) of your spine. I find this makes things much more comfortable.

I also find shoulder holsters to be extremely comfortable. I bought a DeSantis Patriot because, well, it was cheap, and I wasn't sure if I'd like a shoulder rig. I picked it up at OpticsPlanet.com for significantly less than MSRP.

FWIW, I'm regularly concealing a Stoeger (Beretta) Cougar 8040. This is NOT a small weapon, being basically a short-barreled Beretta 96...

I'm 5'8" tall and lugging around 220ish pounds.

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
switch to a single-stack magazine pistol. I have a Makarov that rides fairly well in a vest pocket.
I was at a range some years back a local cop was breaking in his newly bought Bersa .380 and let me run a mag thru it I was impressed, easy to shoot and accurate.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
If your LGS carries DeSantis, and you're committed to OWB concealed carry, I'd highly recommend their Mini Slide. They don't make one specifically for the Compacts, but being an open-muzzle holster, I'm sure your Pro C would be fully covered.

Another option is a Yaqui Slide, which is more my style. Very minimalist (read: lightweight), with good retention despite not having a thumb break. The Yaqui slides also tend to ride higher than a typical pancake holster.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:lol:Hey JRedHorse-I have a similar problem as you in being>bulk<height,and I carry concealed just about everywhere.I have a shoulder rig that works only marginally and am looking into some really large hawiian shirts or something as the warm weather approaches.Inside the pants does'nt work for me-narrow hips also!I wonder if good will has an omar the tent maker section?:lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think carrying a large frame or even med frame gun is difficult. I have even put down my g26! I am now using the sig p938 because it is super light and small. 18 oz loaded with 8 rounds of 124+p pdx1. I carry either with a hybrid iwb holster or a desantis superfly in my front or rear pocket depending on the shorts or pants I have on. Another thing you can try is getting a good leather gun belt. Any leather belt that is floppy will have a hard time supporting your gun and you pants at the same time.

But in the end the wieght and size of your gun will have the most impact on ease and comfort of concealed carry. So look at a kahr pm9 or sig p938 to make your life better and still be armed. I always hated the phrase a gun should be a comfort not comfortable. I believe you can have both especially with all the new super light and super compact high quality pistols being made.

If money is an issue I bet you could sell the taurus 24/7 for just enough to get the budget orient but fantastic kahr cm9. which is 120z lighter then your taurus!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I agree with the gun belt comments. I have a Western-style belt that I wear daily, and while it's sturdy, it's nowhere near as stiff as the Bianchi gun belt I have.

A good belt can make a heavy gun feel, well, still just as heavy, but not as unruly and apt to flop about. :lol:

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
OK, I give up, I can't seem to find a way to carry a 9mm that doesn't drive me crazy all day!

If I wear my side (belt) holster the darn weight of the thing pulls my damn draws down, I'm always tugging on my belt and pulling my draws back up.

I've tried a shoulder holster but the only kind I could find were tactical style, not something you'd wear under a suit jacket and I know I've tried it, too bulky!

Tried a "Inside the pants" type and cut the circulation off to my backside because there was just enough room in the pants for me and that was it.

I need other alternatives in carrying concealed, any suggestions?
Hi JRedHorse;

Couple thoughts-
1. Have you tried a high end leather shoulder holster by someone like Galco? FWIW I have a Galco Miami Classic and have no trouble with a suit coat and a Glock 19. Problem for me is that the weather down here gets too damn' hot for a suit most of the time, so I went to a S&W 642 in a pocket rig most of the time. In shoulder rigs, Galco makes something called a "classic lite" for the Taurus 24/7 that looks interesting. Never owned that one myself, just suggesting you take a look; downside is money - if you don't like it, holsters get mighty expensive.
2. With your belt holster, what were you using for a belt? I've found that a good quality gun belt is just as important as the holster to keep everything where it belongs. Triple K makes a nice lined "detective belt" (its hard to find so here's the link: Gun Holsters and Gun Magazines by Triple K :: #333 Leather Lined Detective Belt )that I use to hold up a GP100 for open use in the boonies. No problems with the weight, though I'd like to get another Jordan Border Patrol rig and a new set of keepers for that use.
3. In a real pinch, there are those "day planner" holsters. I don't like 'em from the standpoint that I don't want my sidearm to be in a position where it could be lost/stolen.

Best,
Grumpy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.