Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum, and I just purchased my first Mini 14. Its a stainless version with wood stocks, ranch rifle .223- I'm having trouble finding a muzzle brake/flashhider that will work with this new sight.

I just ordered a butler creek folding stock from cabelas, I'm told I will need a new metal framing and screws for this stock for my gun? I'm not sure what I can and can't do for this newer 580 series model gun. I want to make it look like a goverment style, I think if I found a nice flashhider, I would just get a higher capacity mag, and leave it stock.

Also I'm looking for a good sight to use with the ruger factory rings. Is it better to use a scope? Or a red dot sight? I plan to varmint hunt and plink with it. Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance?? I was also looking at the Scar cqb stock, it looks really tactical, which I love.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Hunters Daddy

·
Registered
328 Posts
As to the sights, go with an inexpensive scope like a fixed 4x or a 3-9x. These are great little scopes, easy to zero and lots of fun while plinking. They have a better sight picture when you have the time.

If your primary reason for the Mini was self defense, I would recommend the Red Dot. They are still fun, but they excel at fast acquisition. That is really important when moving and shooting or trying to get on the bad guy before he hits you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip, sir. I think a scope is the way to go, I was skeptical about even bothering with it because everyone is always talking about the sub par accuracy of the mini 14 compared with the ar-15. Any brands that fit/work well with factory rings that you know about?

I'm still lost in regards to finding a flash hider that will work with the newest mini 14 ranch rifles, its driving me nuts, I can't find one for it!

Thanks,

Huntersdaddy

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys

I think I'm gonna go with the gelati flash hider, thanks drifter! And thanks for the scope info, I think Im gonna go with the first one! Thanks guys-

·
Banned
781 Posts
If you do a search under my name for my M14 look a like Mini 14 you'll find an option for 580 series rifles. I bought a Choate M14 look a like flash hider and had it bored out to fit my NRA mini. It cost me $15 at the machine shop to get it done. I love it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would not recomend going with cheap optics. You get what you pay for. Leupold, Nikon, Burris, etc are all good choices. Fixed powers are more reliable and less expensive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What kind of specs would I have to provide to a machine shop to have the Choate M14 look alike flash hider machined? Can you provide a few details?
Thanks!
Randy

·
Registered
95 Posts
...I thought of doing the search right after I posted and found your specs. Sorry, should have edited the post after that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts