Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,038 Posts
lima-charlie said:
Why does the Colt 1991A1 sell for so much less than the 1911A1?
I have a stainless Colt 1991A1, series 80, like the one in the gunbroker link. Comments I have read elsewhere, seem to imply that many people do not care for the rollmark initially used on the 1991A1; however, Colt has now changed the 1991A1 rollmark to one which is more appealing to most.
Additionally, the 1911A1, series 70, has somewhat of a nostalgic draw, not only in appearance, but also in the firing system, which is closer to the original 1911. Being no expert, the only difference I am personally aware of, is the 1991A1 has an additional safety.

· Registered
2,068 Posts
I have never had much luck with my series 80. It took about $400 in custom smith work to make it function right with a variety of ammo. It still isn't very accurate. I bout it in the late 80's though so I don't think that it reflects much on your 1991A1 series. I sure hope they got the bugs out. I ahven't picked up a Colt 1911 series since. Para for me.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
viol8r said:
I didn't realize till I looked at the pics that it has a plastic trigger. I don't know of an extra safety..??
When I first looked at my 1991A1, I thought both the trigger & the main spring housing were made of plastic; but they aren't, they're aluminum.

On Colt's web page, it mentions the aluminum trigger.
http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/1991.asp

The additional safety (Firing Pin Lock) was added to the series 80, not just the 1991A1, to prevent accidental discharge should the pistol be dropped. Typing "Colt series 80 firing pin lock" into Google, will provide more information.

· Registered
52 Posts
gunrun45 said:
I have never had much luck with my series 80. It took about $400 in custom smith work to make it function right with a variety of ammo. It still isn't very accurate. I bout it in the late 80's though so I don't think that it reflects much on your 1991A1 series. I sure hope they got the bugs out. I ahven't picked up a Colt 1911 series since. Para for me.
I had almost the same bad luck with a 1991A1 I owned one of the early ones. Turned out the slide was bent slightly "upwards" from front to back. Any basic accuracy stuff would not help so i just traded it off.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
lima-charlie said:
I'm starting to get the feeling that the 1991A1 is not a good choice.
After purchasing my 1991A1 from a local dealer in 2001, I did a little online research, which resulted in what seemed to be poor quality control on all Colt 1911 type pistols manufactured in the 1990's. The main complaint was poor fitting between parts, particularly between the slide & the frame. I could not ask for a better fit on my 1991A1, but I examined it before purchasing. So, my suggestion would be not to purchase any Colt 1911 type pistol sight unseen, without an agreed upon examination period.

· Registered
2,068 Posts
Why don't you buy something like the Springfield, Kimber, Charles Daily, etc... They have better quality control in my expereince and you usually get better features for a lesser price.

Sorry, just ahve not had any luck with their products. I once purchased a NIB Colt SA revolver. I just HAD to have one because obviously they were FAR supperior to their lesser coppies and heck, it was even from their custom shop!! BIG mistake. I had to fork out WAY to much money to get one and it was a huge disapointment. I ended up trading it in for a few well chosen Ruger SA's instead and have never looked back.

My bet is that you will need to have some custom work done to get everything the way you would want it anyway. Find a good gun smith and ask them for their advice. Ask them what it would cost to make it what you want vs. what you can get somewhere else.

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Gunrun and Sticks.
I am looking for a good quality, higher caliber handgun right now but it seems that I am constantly looking and rarely buying. It's just good to know what to look for and what to stay away from.
I qualified on the .45 many years ago and have shot one a couple of times since then. I liked it but I prefer a higher capacity than the typical .45 gives and I dont really need a hand cannon. I have been using a friends S&W .357 as a back-up deer and hog hunting pistol but I that is one of the loudest guns I have ever shot. I cant stand pulling the trigger on that one cause my ears ring for so long and I dont like hunting with anything in my ears. Right now, I have a .380 and an old Colt .38 special (which I shouldnt even fire).

I am really leaning towards a 9mm. I like the recoil, the capacity, cartridge cost and availability. I prefer all (or mostly) metal weapons and even though Beretta gets a bad rap from some I have always liked them, at least the first pistol I ever bought was a Beretta Jaguar and it was great. I think that the 8000 Cougar might be in the running or a Govt issue style...But, I have looked into Glock and Steyr, and if money was no object, (which it is) I think that an HK Tactical would do me. I know I am all over the place with this post. THanks again.

lima-charlie

· Registered
2,068 Posts
Well, at least you're honest with yourself and your needs. Good place to be.
I like the Berretta series and carried one for several years without any complaints exceptr mag capacity in the 40S&W M96 (11 rounds? give me a break Glock 22 has 15!). I currently carry a H&K USP45 for duty and an H&K USP40c for off duty. You can actually find really good deals on used ones. Try looking in Shotgun News and have an FFL order for you. I've found used USP40's and USP45's for like $500!

· Registered
14 Posts
The main difference in the 1991 and the 1911 is the trigger components. The 1991 is a series 80 design and the 1911 is the original. It just takes a little more work to get a good trigger on a series 80 compared to a series 70 or older 1911.One other thing,the biggest difference between a series 70 pistol and an original 1911A1 is the barrel bushing.

· Registered
533 Posts
I have a Colt 1991A1 and I will stack it up against any stock 1911 type for fit and accuracy and I got it for less than $550 NIB. I have put a Millet adj rear and new front sight and Alumagrips on it since I bought it, other than that it is as shipped from factory.

· Registered
533 Posts
I have had zero functioning issues with my 1991A1. It isn't picky as far as ammunition, and it shoots much better than I can. Workmanship is more than acceptable for a mass produced product. IMHO, you can't go wrong with one especially when I paid $500+tax for new out the door.

· Isolationist Libertarian
1,420 Posts
I traded for a well used 1991A1 then sent it to Novaks for a mid range custom job. It is way more gun than I need and works great. Spends most of its time as a 22. Mine did have a plastic trigger and recoil spring rod when I got it. My Delta Elite had a metal trigger, but also had the plastic rod. These aren't guns I would buy to keep stock. I bought both of mine used cause I knew I would make changes.

· Registered
570 Posts
I have a mid 90's m1991-a1 80 series and it is a good gun, my dad has a early 80's 1911 80 series (80 series means it has a firing pin safety), they both shoot about the same, but I have to tell you the finish and detail work are light years apart as far as quality goes, (my dad's is a real showpiece).
The one thing they share besides general accuracy is that colt has never tightened up their slide fit specs, they both have the same sloppy slides that leave them slightly less accurate than other brands.
my two best buddies both have Kimber cutoms and they are both slightly more accurate out of the box stock than my and my dad's colts.
From what more experienced people have told me Colt has seriuosly downsized since the Clinton gun control era and are not as high end in their volume or quality as they used to be.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.