Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in Colorado Springs this week. Meetings with vendors and customers. Boring just the same. But it pays the bills. Anyone from or know the area? What is the best don't wanna miss Steak House in the area? Must have steaks there? And thanks. Price isn't necessarily an issue, I will expense it. http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/images/oldsmilies/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Not a steakhouse, but EXCELLENT German cuisine:
Edelweise Restaurant
Food & Drink - Edelweiss German Restaurant
Their JÄGERSCHNITZEL is my favorite - best I've had in the U.S. and comparable to Germany.

I made it a point to go there each and every time I went to COS (which was often "back in the day" when I worked for SMDC)...Never disappointed!

Went to a number of steakhouses, but - while there were some decent ones - none compared to Edelweis for an extraordinary meal and experience. Great beer, too...

For a "pure" steakhouse, consider this:
https://www.opentable.com/famous-steakhouse?page=1
I've eaten there and the food was great, but only once: I always defaulted to Edelweis...Good steaks are everywhere, great German cuisine isn't...

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got German food last night. Was great. Will venture out again tonight to somewhere else. There is McKenzie's steak house downtown. Been there a few times. Just wondering what else is here. Be home friday. Two weeks home and them off to Napa CA.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I had forgotten about McKenzie's. Ate there once - very nice with good food and service.

I've been fully retired since Dec 2011. Before then I typically did one-week travels about 6-8 times a year (usually COS, Huntsville, Ft. Leavenworth and/or Ft. Lee). I don't miss the traveling at all (although Ft. Lee trips were just 15 minutes' more driving time than a commute to the office). Haven't flown since the middle of 2011.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the answers. I went to Mackenzie's Chop House. It was excellent. 20 oz rib eye, a couples beers, and a baked potato was about $72 with tip.

I would try Luigi's, but in Central New York Italian is about all we have for local fare.

Should be going back in May at some point. Next trip is Napa CA middle April.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would have liked it in the "Garden Yard" (in the Fozzy area, if you're looking south). It was pretty impressive.
They even have their own separate restaurant, but I think the steakhouse is the best thing they do. Their chef is a marvel. I believe their place could compete with 10 Historic Restaurants in NYC. I was there tonight. It will probably take them some more time to get to that level; in NYC, they have a logistical problem during tight seating, but those are technical issues, they are solvable. As for the kitchen, it really is love!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts