Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It came in today!

Based on some earlier posts, I decided to jump on one for my 582 Mini14. Not so much due to any impending (real or imaginary) legislation, but I have a bunch of 5.56 already loaded on stripper clips. I thought it would be handy to load them directly into my Mini rather than use a spoon on the mag, or worse yet, remove the rounds from the clip and load the mag one at a time. I also ordered some extra stripper clips.

So I loaded a bunch of .223 into the clips to try out loading from the top. I had to fumble around a bit to get a good grip on the Mini and still be able to push with my other thumb. After a few "trial runs", works as advertised. I tried only using my 10 round Ruger mags.

Haven't bought a thing other than ammo and mags for my Mini since I bought it. Now, I'm afraid I've let the genie out of the bottle and might have to splurge a bit.

Here are the pics to prove it happened.

IMG_3445.JPG
IMG_3446.JPG

·
Formerly "raf"
1,991 Posts
It came in today!

Based on some earlier posts, I decided to jump on one for my 582 Mini14. Not so much due to any impending (real or imaginary) legislation, but I have a bunch of 5.56 already loaded on stripper clips. I thought it would be handy to load them directly into my Mini rather than use a spoon on the mag, or worse yet, remove the rounds from the clip and load the mag one at a time. I also ordered some extra stripper clips.

So I loaded a bunch of .223 into the clips to try out loading from the top. I had to fumble around a bit to get a good grip on the Mini and still be able to push with my other thumb. After a few "trial runs", works as advertised. I tried only using my 10 round Ruger mags.

Haven't bought a thing other than ammo and mags for my Mini since I bought it. Now, I'm afraid I've let the genie out of the bottle and might have to splurge a bit.

View attachment 64256 View attachment 64255
I have an SS unit on order. Will bead-blast, and paint with Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II "Dark Park" to match the rest of the painted SS Mini. Replacing the well-worn Aluminum stripper clip guide bought decades ago. Aluminum stripper clip guide is wearing out, unfortunately.

All part of my plan "B" to convert my Mini into a 10-rd, top-fed, 5.56 SKS-type rifle in case proposed RI State Laws are enacted. Also a required as part of this plan is to use CA/NY- Legal mag lever device from Maglatch to make the rifle useable with 10-rd mag, but NOT able to accept a "replaceable" mag without "disassembly" of the rifle. I'll review the Maglatch Mini-14/Mini-30 device once received, and tested.

I hope none of this nonsense is enacted, but I an doing my best to circumvent possible future Laws. Also fighting hard against them being enacted. That's "Plan "A"",

·
Registered
3 Posts
It came in today!

Thanks for posting that. I just ordered one. I like having options.
Dog

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
in my lovely state of new york, if you want an ar-15 with features, you have to pin the mag release so there is no way to drop the mag and pop in a new one, with that set up you have to split the gun and reload the mag, either by hand or stripper clips, a friend has that set up and you would be amazed how fast he can reload with the stripper clips, now nothing is going to be as fast as a mag drop, but the small amount of time it takes to open load and close wasnt that bad..a real PITA ..but it is what it is in this communist state..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bear Flag Defense and Mean Arms make "stripper clip" loaders for the AR that feed through the ejection port. These are NOT the same as typical USGI clips. No need to "disassemble the action", or even drop the mag. I don't use them since my ARs are "featureless" like my Mini (trying to get back on topic).

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,601 Posts
It came in today!

Looks good. Cogburn Arsenal makes a lot of cool stuff for the Mini-14/30, and it's very well made.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,991 Posts
Bear Flag Defense and Mean Arms make "stripper clip" loaders for the AR that feed through the ejection port. These are NOT the same as typical USGI clips. No need to "disassemble the action", or even drop the mag. I don't use them since my ARs are "featureless" like my Mini (trying to get back on topic).
Just ordered 5 of the Bear Flag Defense items, as a backup plan for ARs. I intend to go another route, but nice to have alternatives. If proposed laws are enacted, can possibly sell off surplus units.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
BTW. I HAVE A ROUND MAGNET ON MY RECIEVER TO HOLD THE SPOON FOR THE MAGS.
NO GLUE NEEDED. AND THE SPOON NEVER MOVES WHEN SHOOTING.

OTHER STORAGE SPOTS ARE THE STOCK BUTT.
Magnets don't work for stainless steel but it is a good idea. I have an early 580 Mini and it does not have the holes drilled for the stripper clip guide. It might be worth doing that for the future.

kwg

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
a bit off topic - but I have modded an AK stripper clip mag loader to function with the mags of my 189 series M30. I can carry (not presently, can't walk far w/out arm crutches but as MacAurthur said 'I shall return') spare filled mags plus 60 spare rounds on strippers, and of course the loader.
if need be of course.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Right John magnets will not stick to 316L.
Which is used in food grade applications.

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine
1 - 16 of 16 Posts