Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I've saved up my allowance and now have to choose which rifle to order. I'm looking for a shooter not necessarily a collector, that will come later when I have the funds for such things. So help me out here.

What are the pros and cons Between the various grades/manufacturers/US or Danish? Is a Service Grade $100 bucks better than Rack Grade? Is Winchester $75 bucks better than Springfield? Is it a question of quality or collectibility? Are the Danish loners of lessor quality that those M1's that stayed in the states? Is the VAR barrel higher quality? Are there any particularly good years to ask for? Early - Mid - Late production?

I'm looking for a safe, reliable, trouble free shooter, the biggest bang for the buck! If I can get that with a Danish issue Springfield Armory with VAR Barrel for $425...I'm for it. Then I can purchase more ammo and shoot more often.

Please gentlemen, you thoughts and advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You sound like you've done your homework!
Here's my 2ents.
I'd go with the "service grade" as it has better barrel quality (ie less throat erosion) and you'd be able to shoot more rounds through it before you had to replace it. How many? Dunno!

Yep, the non-springfield rifles are more for collectability than quality. Also, keep in mind that the non-springfields are starting to have waiting periods of up to 1 year!

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/latest_news.htm
I ordered a IH rifle in April and won't see it for 12 months.

So with the "bang for buck" criteria I'd go with a Danish, Service Grade, VAR Springfield for $425.00

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep! Like djskit said, the price difference is mostly collectability. I'd say you have already made the best "bang-for-the-buck" choice.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have two Springfields now, so I ordered a Winchester with a VAR barrel. The credit card took the hit May 25 so hopefully it will show up pretty soon.:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts