Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my CMP Garand a few days ago. :) It took a little over three weeks from the time I sent in the order form. I got the confirmation form, then about 3 days later, the rifle arrived. It's an S.A. made in Oct. "44, but it has a W.R.A. stamped trigger group. want. Metal looks pretty good, but the wood has some dings and gouges in it.

Any tips on where to get a decent replacement stock? Anyone had any PERSONAL experience with gunsmithing work done by Fulton Armory or Orion 7 Enterprises -- or anyone else for that matter?

No Longer Involved
Depending on how bad the stock is, I might not replace it at all.

There are various ways to fix up wood. I'll summarize here, and hope that a few people chime in with details.

First, if the color of the wood is good, but just dinged, you can try to steam out the dings. There are various methods, and I've not done them, but most involve placing a damp cloth over the ding, and applying a hot steam iron. The steam will expand the grain, fixing up the ding.

If the wood is extremely stained (cosmoline, etc.), you can go as far as chemically stripping it and then refinishing with tung or linseed oil. A description of this process can be found here:

Fulton Armory Article

Finally, what I did was find a really bad piece of wood, and used the above method, as practice. It turned out pretty good, and allowed me to decide if that is what I wanted to do to my better, but dirty and dinged up wood.

Registered
Any tips on where to get a decent replacement stock?
Boyds makes a great stock, IMO. Try doing a search for "garand stock" at www.midwayusa.com; they're on sale right now for $89 (including hand guards).

I bought one of their stocks & my M1 looks great. However, like Bill said, if you want to keep it authentic, you might want to try repairing it instead.

No Longer Involved
yeah, I like my authentic wood...

But the Bopyd's stocks sure look clean...

Registered
I had a Garand my dad gave to me completely redone by Orion. ( Lieutenant upgrade package + trigger job) The gun looks new and shoots perfectly. The trigger breaks perfectly at about 4.5 pounds. Put 120+ rounds through it out of the box and not one problem.

They take a bit of time doing the work.If you are time concerned and having the gun reparkerized, they repark every two weeks, so you may want to sync the time you send your gun in with the repark time. It took about 5 weeks for my gun to be worked on, but I decided on the full upgrade after it had been there a week.

I would not hesitate a second to send in another Garand to Orion.

Allen

Registered
I recently purchased a RAMLINE synthetic stock for my garand. I did it because after very careful and tedious restoration of my wooden stock, I let my big foot knock it over and make a big gash in it. I decided then not to try and keep a "nice" stock.
When I recieved the synthetic I was actually surprised. It fit perfectly and it really looks pretty cool.
My Garand has alway been a 2 inch shooter. I put a new GI barrel on it soon after I bought it because the original barrel was damned near a smooth bore. The new barrel performed ok but didn't set the world on fire. Like I said, a 2 incher at 100 yds.
I monkeyed around with reloading and still got 2 inch groups. That is until I machined an adjustable gas cylinder plug. My Garand is now a consistant 1 inch shooter with FULL power loads.
The adjustable plug allowed me to develope full power loads without overstressing the op rod and it allowed for tayloring my rifle to the load.

Registered
The load that I shoot in my Garand is a 200 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail bullet, Federal brass full length resized and trimmed to 2.484, Winchester Large Rifle Magnum Primer and 52 grains of Winchester 760 powder, and a cartridge over all length of 3.335. This is a FULL power load and I would not shoot it in a Garand with a standard gas sytem. But with my adjustable plug I can shoot it without beating my rifle to pieces.

Registered
HELP!
Hey most of you guys are from around my area. I live in West Covina Calif. What CMP clubs or Organizations do you belong to?
And how can I join up? I what to get a CMP Garand and cant get any info on the programs around here.
Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts