Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

No Longer Involved
Sure, it is a GREAT deal.

But you'll note that the CMP only sells AR-15's to clubs! Yes, and individual takes the transfer, but the rifle is for use by CMP affiliated clubs ONLY.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I wasn't quite sure how that worked. I've been a MEMBER of the CSSA (Colorado State Shooting Association) for a couple years and I bought a Crossman 160 from the CMP a while back.

I thought you just had to go THROUGH the club.

Oh well.

Mike

No Longer Involved
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Programs/AR15.htm

3. Purchase Restrictions
State associations are eligible to purchase a maximum of 20 CMP AR-15 type rifles per year. Clubs may purchase up to eight rifles per year. A wavier to purchase additional rifles may be requested from the CMP if the state association or club can demonstrate that additional rifles will be actively used in the affiliate's highpower rifle program.

The AR-15 type rifles are offered at prices that are subsidized by the CMP and may be ordered only through the CMP by a CMP affiliated club or state association. Rifles will be sent from the manufacturer to the Federal Firearms Dealer licensee selected by the CMP affiliate for further transfer of ownership to:

The CMP affiliated organization, or
To an individual member of the CMP affiliate who is engaged in that organization's marksmanship program or who is an adult sponsor of a junior shooter who participates in the organization's marksmanship program.
These rifles are offered at very special, subsidized prices. To ensure that these rifles are purchased for use in highpower rifle programs and not for resale, the CMP will require the CMP affiliate to maintain an accurate record of the ownership and location of each rifle for a period of one year from the date of receipt of the rifle. This requirement applies to rifles owned by the organization and loaned to member as well as to rifles that become the personal property of an individual member of the affiliate.

Further transfers of ownership of a rifle may occur during the one year tracking period, but only to another CMP affiliate or to an individual member of an affiliate who is actively engaged in a CMP marksmanship program. In either case, the one-year ownership tracking responsibility remains with the CMP affiliate that made the original acquisition of the rifle. The CMP affiliate's tracking records are subject to review/inspection by the CMP.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Bill
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Programs/AR15.htm
The CMP affiliated organization, or
To an individual member of the CMP affiliate who is engaged in that organization's marksmanship program or who is an adult sponsor of a junior shooter who participates in the organization's marksmanship program.
I sent the CSSA an e-mail, asking them how they typically deal with this. I'm interested in participating in the marksmanship program, so I'm thinking I would qualify.

Mike

Registered
Reading the info it appears that the buyer is obligated to keep the rifle for one year and then the CMP ceases to track it. These guns with the CMP markings will surely turn up for sale starting in about 12 months.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fine by me. I'm interested in "friendly" competition and I like the idea of CMP markings.

No plans to sell it, ever.

Hopefully the CSSA will get back to me with something positive.

Mike

Registered
three of these rifles have already made the lists on gunbroker.com
but most of them are selling for as much as a pre-ban rifle:(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts