Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found this forum after buying my mini-14 about a month ago. after not finding an answer searching, i finally decided to register an account and start a new thread.

i would like to know how you guys clean the gas block where the stock fits in and the gas comes out. i have been putting some Hoppe's residue solvent on it then using Q-tips and folded cloth or paper towels wrapped around a pencil tip to get down in the corners. this takes me about 15 minutes. after i go to the range, that part of the gas block is dark black with residue. my mini is stainless and when i bought it from my uncle spottless on that part (he's a detective so he takes really good care of his weapons). i haven't been able to get ahold of him and don't want him to think i'm not taking care of it. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

also how often, if ever, should i take apart the gas block for cleaning?

also also, if i buy a Hogue overmolded stock, would you suggest bedding it?

thank you for help. i love shooting this rifle so i want to take care of it to last me forever.

· Registered
31 Posts
I don't think I'm an expert, but here's what I do. First get a brass toothbrush and scrub it with solevent instead if using q tips. The one I have has a narrow brush on one end and regular on the other. Then you can wipe it down with q tips or whatever. It takes time, but who cares. I probably clean mine every 250 rounds or so and never had problems. You should be able to go way more than that. I think the AGI video says to take the gas block off, disassemble and clean once a year.
If you get the stock, I'd bed it. It's cheap to do and it seems everyone gets better groups.
John

· Registered
560 Posts
mummac---You may want to rethink the brass toothbrush thing, you'll end up with a brass colored stainless steel Mini. You can get nylon type brushes that won't discolor the stailess & do the job well. The gas block on the Mini is oversized for what it does & with the extremely high pressures involved I can't imagine it ever clogging up. The only reason I'm against this is because you can run into trouble the first time you disassemble the gas block. The factory stakes the ends of the four screws & it's possible to damage them on the first disassembly, especially with stainless. It's really a minor point but I think you should be aware non the less. Unlike the AR the Mini will tolorate dirt. Use the search tool at the upper right of the page & you can find everything you want to know about the Mini.

Good shooting
Bushwack

· Registered
31 Posts
Hey Bushwack,
Didn't know brass will discolor stainless. Oops. I haven't noticed it on the gas pipe on mine, but I don't scrub hard and have only done it a few times. I've used one on the forcing cone of a 686 before too. Learn something everyday. May switch to nylon when I go to the next gun show.
John

· Registered
560 Posts
JWB---Yes I did it on my Mini. You have to get aggresive but it will put a coating of brass on the metal. Another problem with brass is that because it's so soft hard carbon will enbed itself into the brass turning your soft brass brush into an abrasive. This is why if I ever have to use a brass bore brush to clean the barrel I toss the brush afterwards. I learned this years ago when I was a newbie mechanic. I found a hardened steel pin had been severly worn where it rode inside a brass bushing while the brass bushing looked nearly new except for a dark discoloration. The lead mechanic said that was normal because the discoloration was in fact microscopic carbon which is harder than steel. I'd better stop before I start rambling.

Later
Bushwack

· Registered
9,633 Posts
i would like to know how you guys clean the gas block
I spray with Gun Scrubber, soak 10 min. scrub with old nylon tooth brush. Don't worry about stains. It isn't worth the effort to try to remove.
also how often, if ever, should i take apart the gas block for cleaning?
Once a year is enough. Gap the gas block halves evenly and torque to 24 to 36 in-lbs. Use loctite blue on the threads.
if i buy a Hogue overmolded stock, would you suggest bedding it?
Yes. Bedding my Hogue tightened average groups 3/4", and got rid of the 3" flyers.

I only use brass bore brushes in the bore with copper cleaner. The nylon bore brushes just arn't tough enough to remove the copper, which will reduce your accuracy. I use a brush till it starts to look frayed, then get another. Maby 10 cleanings each.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.