Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typically, to clean the bore on my Mini, I use either pull thru or very carefully use a rod from the muzzle. I was thinking about purchasing an Otis cleaning kit would like to hear a few opinions and pointers, Thank you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do the same thing. For a quickie clean , the pull through. When she needs a good scrubbing, I give her the rod. I think there is no way you will damage the muzzle crown if you are careful.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hey Old Navy, I have and use an Otis cleaning system on almost all my rifles and handguns. I really like it and it does a good job. I also use a flexible chamber cleaning rod like this http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=PXCH1

It really lets you clean the chamber good on a Mini. Another thing I use quite a bit is a pull through made from a piece of .104 diameter weed whacker line. Melt one end into a ball of the right diameter and cut the other end at a sharp angle. Just poke the sharp end through a patch and pull it down to the ball end then pull it through the bore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Typically, to clean the bore on my Mini, I use either pull thru or very carefully use a rod pest control brisbane from the muzzle. I was thinking about purchasing an Otis cleaning kit would like to hear a few opinions pest control gold coast and pointers, Thank you.
Otis kit is ideal for cleaning. I am using it for some time and I need nothing else of cleaning

·
Registered
602 Posts
When using a rod from the muzzle end just use a muzzle guide/ protector.. They protect the end of the muzzle and keep the rod away from the edges of the crown. Cheap. come in most all popular calibers. Gunslick makes brass ones for 3 or 4 bucks each.

·
Formerly "raf"
4,012 Posts
When using a rod from the muzzle end just use a muzzle guide/ protector.. They protect the end of the muzzle and keep the rod away from the edges of the crown. Cheap. come in most all popular calibers. Gunslick makes brass ones for 3 or 4 bucks each.
This is excellent advice! Preventing damage to the bore/crown is far easier than fixing it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I use a variety of cleaning systems as not all guns are alike. Pull thru on Minis. If the breach is accessible then we go thru that way. Take down guns are easy and lots of time I end up just shoving a clean patch thru with a piece of wooden dowel.

I have an Otis Kit. $70 I also have 2 or 3 similar kits I paid about $10 each for off of the LAPG Website. They have all the same stuff as the Otis kit and come in a nice little zippered pouch. Couldn't go wrong for $10!

More than one way to do this chore,,, which I don't do very often. Lots of times guns are better off not being cleaned frequently. A good cleaning every 400-500 rounds is more than good enough. I get a lot of mileage out of just wiping the outside down with a Silicone Rag so the gun doesn't rust while in storage.

All my good shotguns live in take down cases that way they avoid handling damage associated with going in an out of a safe.
Like many other things, guns get most of their abuse from Human Hands. Learning to be careful while handling your guns will go along way to keeping them nice. Cleaning them after each use is less important.

Randy

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I haven’t tried the otis, somehow not a fan of steel cable down the bore, but I am sure that is just me. Love bore snakes, and a cool little device called the patchworm, basically trimmer line with nylon buttons to make it work better on larger calibers, is always in my range bag.

·
Formerly "raf"
4,012 Posts
I haven’t tried the otis, somehow not a fan of steel cable down the bore, but I am sure that is just me. Love bore snakes, and a cool little device called the patchworm, basically trimmer line with nylon buttons to make it work better on larger calibers, is always in my range bag.
The Otis steel cables are plastic coated.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Curiosity gets the best of me, and when i see that an 8 year old thread is revived, it's always the guy with one post.
Your first post should be to introduce yourself to the other members, not to revive long buried threads.
Dammit.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
You couldn't scrape the plastic coating off one of those cables in a lifetime. No need to worry about the sun coming up in the West or anything else that is never going to happen.

Randy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.