Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me towards a mini-specific video or how-to on cleaning the rifle? I clean mine my way, which I think is ok, but I am still fairly new to firearms. I would like to see exactly how to efficiently and correctly clean a mini. I don't want to be unsure if I skipped something I should have done, or missed somewhere and crap could be building up and eventually damaging it.
Thanks everyone,
Dave

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can anyone point me towards a mini-specific video or how-to on cleaning the rifle? I clean mine my way, which I think is ok, but I am still fairly new to firearms. I would like to see exactly how to efficiently and correctly clean a mini. I don't want to be unsure if I skipped something I should have done, or missed somewhere and crap could be building up and eventually damaging it.
Thanks everyone,
Dave
The Ruger site has good vids

Ruger Videos

Go to the Tech Tips link to find Mini assy, disassy and cleaning instructions.

Probably the big thing I have been learning is the evils of overlubing.

As for the most efficient way to clean...well... Like cornbread recipes, find one you like....

·
Registered
6 Posts
The most difficult part of cleaning the Mini 14 is from the muzzle. It's difficult keeping the rod from bowing when inserting as your steadying the rifle with one hand while trying to insert a cleaning patch/jag with the other. In another area of this site (which I cannot find anymore), one guy suggested to use a flexible cleaning rod like the Remington Fast Snap cleaning kit (available from Midway). You pull the patches and brushed through instead of pushing. Seems like a much better way to me so I just bought one.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The most difficult part of cleaning the Mini 14 is from the muzzle. It's difficult keeping the rod from bowing when inserting as your steadying the rifle with one hand while trying to insert a cleaning patch/jag with the other. In another area of this site (which I cannot find anymore), one guy suggested to use a flexible cleaning rod like the Remington Fast Snap cleaning kit (available from Midway). You pull the patches and brushed through instead of pushing. Seems like a much better way to me so I just bought one.
I've always cleaned from the breech, even with cleaning rods. It's definitely a PITA... Insert rod, attach brush, pull through, remove brush, reinsert rod... However, I did recently pick up an Otis AR cleaning kit (flexible cleaning rods like the Remington kit you mentioned) on eBay for ~$15. Have yet to give it a try, as I haven't been to the range since I received it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Love the Otis range. I use it for my handguns as I shoot revolvers too. For the Mini though, I just use a bore snake.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I haven't tried my Otis kit either but can't wait!

Also, boresnakes will be one of the best investments you can make IMHO.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Otis Kit, Bore Snake, ChamberMaid and Chamber Brush and you got it covered. IMO

·
ANTI anti-gun activist
1,287 Posts
Yea especially lately.:) Bunch nice new people on.;)

·
ANTI anti-gun activist
1,287 Posts
oh man you crack me up. You much better on this profile

·
Troller of trolls
68 Posts
i dont think his date went well with mr. hand :lol::lol::lol:
you tell me rosie palmer. Here's a kleenex to wipe yourself off! lmao!! :lol::lol::p:lol::lol:

BTW Rosie, I'ma gonna 'ignore' you cause you just aint worth anyones time, my lonely son. Goodbye child-man baby-boy :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
ANTI anti-gun activist
1,287 Posts
Actually I wanted it to be normal, but oh well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've always cleaned from the breech, even with cleaning rods. It's definitely a PITA... Insert rod, attach brush, pull through, remove brush, reinsert rod... However, I did recently pick up an Otis AR cleaning kit (flexible cleaning rods like the Remington kit you mentioned) on eBay for ~$15. Have yet to give it a try, as I haven't been to the range since I received it.
Same here. I've been doing it this way for so long that it isn't really a hassle. Never clean from the muzzle to the breech.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts