Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In exasperation I ordered a cleaning kit from Otis yesterday. The stuff I already had for 22LR, etc just wasn't working out, and I want to be clean the bore via the chamber, which isn't possible without taking the rifle down each time. I don't want to go to that trouble (detail stripping) each time I need to clean just the bore.

Howver, I am looking for a manual or book that would help me do a fairly detailed strip of a Mini 14. I used to have some books by, I think, "DGI" that showed how to detail strip several model pistols. I wonder if there is such a book for the Mini 14?

Thanks.

PS - Since I removed my scope mount and reattached it using Locktite, it's shooting a LOT better.......
:D

·
Registered
685 Posts
doug, you can get an armorers course on video for the mini for 30.00 from agi or check out their catalog at 3w.americangunsmith.com course no 115. hope it helps...later oh and try a bore snake.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by boogeyman
doug, you can get an armorers course on video for the mini for 30.00 from agi or check out their catalog at 3w.americangunsmith.com course no 115. hope it helps...later oh and try a bore snake.
Thanks, I'll check those out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the Mini-14 video from AGI. I do not think it says much about the Mini-30. Since I do not know anything about the Mini-30 I can't say if it applies to the mini-30 also.

The video is pretty interesting with some history of the mini and very good close-ups of the disassembly, cleaning and reassembly of the mini. I thought the video was great until the last section. I bought the video because of the advertised section on accurizing and tuning. That section was pretty lame. What a big letdown!

I was hoping for some good tips on trigger tuning, glass bedding, fire lapping, ammo reccommendations, scope mounting, etc. But, the section on accurizing basically implied it wasn't worth the expense or trouble to try to accurize the mini.

I give the video an "A" for all sections except the accurizing section gets an "F".

V.V.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey DK
Recommed you get a Dewey 22 cal cleaning rod and bore guide/muzzel guard and a 22 cal jag all available from Brownells.
You have to clean the rifle from the muzzel and don't really need to dissassenble the rifle but once in a while. The Dewy rod is single piece and coated with plastic. It is essential that you protect the crown of the muzzel or your groups will really start to stink.
Ask any M1A owner, that's how they do it.
I run a bore snake a few times before I have at it with the rod.

Now my question is, what is the recommended way to clean the gas system? I know on my M1A I don't even have to touch the gas system until 300 rounds, but then there is all sorts of fun stuff that has to be done. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree with djskit. I bought a bore guide/muzzle guard from Dillon Precision that is made for the Mini-14 and I use a jag. I have to clean my M1As from the muzzle. The oldest M1A was purchased in 1982 and has 3,500 rounds through it with no damage to the crown since I have always used the bore guide/muzzle guard. It still shoots sub-moa.

Unlike the M1A, I have never taken the gas system on my Mini-14 apart for cleaning and unless I have a real need to, I only field strip my semi-auto rifles once every couple of years.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I found a very slick little cleaning rig called a "Patch Worm". Basically it's a piece of Weedeater line with a cylinderical end it comes with little plastic adapters so you can clean everything from 177-45 cal. Just select the correct adapter & slip it on the line then pierce the center of a patch with the pointy end & you're ready to clean. This works well for me as I try never to use a brush in any of my weapons. I'll see if I can attach the address.

Good shooting
Bushwack
http://www.silverstreaksports.com/PatchWorm.htm

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up getting one of those "Otis cleaning sytems". Although pretty expensive at about $40 including shipping, it is the easiest cleaning session I've ever experienced. I did not want to clean from the muzzle if it could be avoided, and the Otis kit allows me to clean from the breech, even with the scope attached.

I've used it one my Mini 14 and a CZ 22LR I have. It works very well, and is so CLEAN and not messy! After using it on my rifles, I'm not sure I won't also use it on my pistols, which I shoot about 75% of the time.

Count me as a happy camper. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know I'm a doofus, but I don't care for the Otis kit too much. I can't get their patches to go through my mini, I try to put the patches on exactly as they say in the manual, but they're just too big, I eventually had to get some regular 22 patches. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I use a milsurp M16 cleaning kit with bore guide.For 30+ caliber,buy a Swiss cleaning kit from Cheaper than Dirt.There less than $5.00 for the whole kit and it kicks butt.And you might want to get a ratching bore brush in 223 .Gruffers has a review of the kit.Bore cleaner I buy US milsurp cleaner also.and use Remoil for lube.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by bobjohnson
...I can't get their patches to go through my mini....
Actually, I've not tried the Otis patches. I'm using the patches I've used for the past 10 years or so. I believe they are called "Bloomer's-something-or-other". They are made from remnants of making underwear.:D I believe they are about 1.5 inch square. I originally got them for clearning my pistots (38-45) for which purpose they are excellent.

The patch ought to be pretty hard to pull through IMO, maybe 50 lbs of force (I'm guessing). Since I'm not using lead bullets (in the Mini) I don't feel the need to use a bore brush, and after shooting about 100 rounds I can clean the rifle in less than 15 minutes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Aldo
I use a milsurp M16 cleaning kit with bore guide.....
I don't like the idea of pushing "bore crud" done the barrel and into the chamber and breech area. I don't know how significant that is, but it just seemed like a good thing to my meticulous nature.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.