Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm about to load up a metric chyt ton of .45 acp.....and want to relegate my trusted old friend Mr. Bullseye to SAA revolver use.

Yes, I know Bullseye#2 has been used by the U.S.Gov't as it's acp powder since at least 1905......and the puff of grey smoke each bullet emits is comforting as a visual indication that your barrel is clear (no squibb).

BUT

I want to move to a powder that doesn't smoke.....doesn't soot.....doesn't require the mandatory cleaning session after every shooting session whether it be 8 rds or 80.

I'd like the accuracy of Bullseye (yes, I really did say that.....B/E has NEVER given me accuracy issues) 101% functioning at lighter loads ( equal to 4.2gr. B/E)........and less cleaning !!

Speak up my friends !,.......my hands need you!

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
Alcan AL-5, if you can find it(out of production for 40 years, at least), is very clean burning, but difficult to meter.
Alliant E3 is supposedly clean burning, as well as clays.

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
as far I know flake powder is cleaner than ball or grain type. but likely more difficult to meter.

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
585 Posts
American Select (shotgun) can be used for .45 ACP target loads.
Jerry Miculek was quoted to have used it in his S&W mod. 25... Primarily for its clean burning properties.
I guess it left very little carbon buildup ,under the revolver's star extractor. (No hang ups in fast reloading.)
4.6 gr. of American Select with a 200 gr. SWC is pretty darn accurate from my 1911 s

·
Registered
64 Posts
PB was the cleanest powder I ever found. It is the only powder I have used that left the inside of the case as clean as it was before loading, and may have even been cleaner. But all the "cleanliness" folks went to VV and such and PB was discontinued. So, another old excellent powder dies due to interest in the new and different.
Next would probably be N310.
For accuracy, though, I find BE, 231/HP38, Red Dot and AA2 beat the rest.
Personally, I never paid any attention to "cleanliness" as it has no effect on shooting.
I've gone more than a year shooting 5.0gn and 6.0gn of Unique with no issues or need to clean the gun or barrel—all lead bullets and no leading in the barrel even after a year of Bullseye, PPC, pins, and plates.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Thats what I say. When I can charge 3 pistols with the same load of Unique, why would I change it? And the accuracy in short revolvers is excellent.

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
I use PP to load Rem Golden Saber185 gr +P .45 acp loads for my Marlin Camp Gun.. I added an extra stout recoil spring from Wolff.. and blackjack heavy duty buffer. shoots great, hard hitting. good bush load for white tail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts