Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may appall some of you but i have put a few hundred rounds through my mini and never cleaned the bore...the reason being that I have heard so much about damaging the barrel by cleaning from the muzzle that I am scared to do so! I have a plastic coated cleaning rod made by J. Dewey MFG. CO. that i have been told should be safe to use. Any tips i should have about cleaning my rifle? Use of solvent, lubricant ? What is the best way to clean my mini!?! Thank you in advance for any advice you have to offer!

BOB

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been using Break Free and a 22 cal. BoreSnake. I usually soak the thick end of the BoreSnake with the Break Free (or Shooters Choice), run it through then let it sit awhile.... After that I run it through again to get all the gunk out...

You can let the Break Free sit in there as long as you like...but the Shooters Choice advises not to soak overnight...

The pro is that the BoreSnake is made of (cotton?) fiber with a weight attached so that you can run it through from the chamber end....

The con is that you must wash the BoreSnake to get any product out of it before you can run it through as a dry patch...

I suppose you could just get a good bore guide and dry patch it with a cleaning rod...

Heard that some 10/22 accuracy fans use .920" weed whacker line with a regular cleaning patch attached in order to protect their expensive target barrels while cleaning...seems like a good idea...haven't tried it yet....

Good Luck,

Swagger

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use the Otis plastic coated steel cable for M1A, Mini-14 and sometimes AR15. It works well and you can pull it through from the chamber to the muzzle. I am careful about putting the tip which is a loop-type in at the muzzle carefully centering it and runing it down to the chamber then putting a patch on it and pulling it back through.
ches

1 - 3 of 3 Posts