Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gentlemen,

I just purchased a used mini-14 with barrel conversion, trigger work etc. by Clark. I was disappointed to experience some misfires and jams when I took it to the range. I was using supposedly "match" grade ammunition from accu-rite. It seems to be doing better since I gave the rifle a good lubrication but I was wondering if I need to check out the gas ports, springs etc. Any feedback on Clark? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dr. Ed. The Clark should be a shooter. A very high Reputation. My first question is what brand of mags are you using? You can visit our Magazine gallery to Id your magazine. Let us know which mag you have before we go deeper into solving your jamming problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your responses on my jamming problem. Here is an update. First off,my initial problem arose immediately after bought the gun. In my excitement to try it out I went to the range without oiling it and I think it was really dry from being stored awhile. Nonethless, I shot 60 or so rounds and I had 3 or 4 jams and a couple of misfires, The mis fires all shot when I tried them a second time. The primer appeared not struck hard enough(when first struck). I was using a Ruger factory five round magazine. The next day I went back to the range after thoroughly cleaning and oiling the gun and tried again this time with a no-name 20 round magazine I bought at the gun show. It gave lots of trouble but didn't behave exactly the same. Seemed to be a problem with the magazine feeding, so I switched back to the factory five. I then shot 15 or 20 rounds with no problems. I think with a good magazine and good lubrcation the gun will do O.K. but I wonder if the gas port size is marginally adequate. I went hunting this last weekend but did not shoot since no feral hogs showed up. I'll be going backto the range this week. I also ordered some of those pro-mag 10 rounders and wiil try them. I'm going to e-mail Clark if the problem persists. I''ll let you guys know what happens. Thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey djskit,
I'm not getting sub m.o.a. groups yet but the gun shot okay. I'm not an expert marksman. I was getting approximately 3 inch groups at 100 yds with a 3x9 variable Tasco scope (40mm) that I just mounted myself. I suspect the limiting factor is the shooter and not the rifle.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey ed, another thing you may want to try is shooting several different types of ammo. Some will shoot better in your rifle, than others. As far as the shooter goes, practice will improve the shooter, and will have fun doing it.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
dr_ed,

I called Clark and they said that they use Federal 55 grain Ballistic Tip ammo for their accuracy testing on Mini-14 conversions. FYI

BigGunBill

·
Registered
217 Posts
The primer appeared not struck hard enough(when first struck).
I had this problem with my mini a while back. I installed a Wolff extra power hammer spring and an extra power recoil spring. A few hundred rounds later and not a misfire since, even after installing one of Mike's smaller gas ports.
Good luck!

·
Registered
103 Posts
ANYONE willing to bet their life on a Tasco scope has a poor self image...........:eek: Now that I have pissed everyone off I think I'll go have another stroke...When push comes to shove are YOU willing to pay the price????:usa:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd give you an update. New hammer and recoil springs seems to have been the answer to my problem. The Pro-Mag 10 round magazines are also excellent and feed better and fit better than any other magazines I have tried including the factory five round. I am now able to shoot 1 inch groups easily at 50 yards. I think I'll try a new scope. My brother says Leupold. Any suggestions for a good choice of scope?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I like my Leupold 3-9x40. Its an older version of the new VX1. Have seen the VX1 for $179. Very sharp image, warenteed forever no mater who owns it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Give Sightron a look. Life time warranty and they are good to deal with if you have a question or problem. www.sightron.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts