Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone really doen a comparision between chrome lined 20" A2 type barrels and SS barrels of similar length...in the field?

The chrome barrels are much more durable, basically cannot be shot out within a lifetime of prudent use, but sacrifice some accuracy.... what is the reality? Does the chrome lining kill 500 yard accuracy to the point that this is not a really practical field tool, or is it the SS barrel that falls down when muddy and abused?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you'll find that 500 yd accuracy figure that you mention is not really practical. Will the 55 or 62 grain bullet make 500 yds? Yes. Can it perform accurately to 500 yds? Yes, see the Camp Perry results. Will the bullet have the velocity required 2500 fps to make the mil ball perform properly on a human at 500 yds? No. Run the numbers through one of the ballistic calculators on the WEB. For instance the 16" M4 will only perform reliably to about 150 yds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don, I agree with you completely (technically).

However, I will not stand on the 500 yard line anytime soon to take a hit from an SS109, just cause it wont break at the cannelure as it rifles through my body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
haven't seen anyone offering an A2 "government" profile (thin under the handguards) bbl in stainless... with the posible exception of special ordering one from Oly and makeing sure to ask for a NATO spec chamber.

for field use, i really like a lighter bbl.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Olympic Arms has nice SS barrels, I have enjoyed shooting them for years. They have a 20" HBAR contour barrel with front sight, etc, #FIF. They have a black oxide coating, and look like parkerized. They also have a 16" M4 type barrel (#F1H) in SS, if you want an even lighter barrel.

I just sold my Oly 20" Service Match upper (F1F SS barrel) to a LEO friend. He needs utmost reliability. This upper malfunctioned only when new, and only with the poor Cooper Ind. mags I had then. The problem was failure to feed the last few rounds of each mag due to very weak mag springs. These mags were rejected by the Army, and the company lost its contract. I replaced the mags, and never had another problem. 100% reliability with other mags such as Labelle, DPMS, BFI, Adventure Line, Parsons, Okay, Sanchez, etc.

For this type of use, there is no real difference in practical accuracy between the chrome lined and SS barrels. Also, as far as durability, that is also a non-issue. Rust ruins more barrels than shooting.

Heat is the main factor in "shooting out" a barrel. Dumping mag after mag full auto, or rapid semi fire will do in any barrel. A sustainable rate of fire, 10-12 rnds per minute is less damaging. But realistically, I would not worry about this.

The good thing about SS, it is corrosion resistant on the OUTSIDE as well as the inside.

For the standard type barrels (not the target bull barrels) Oly has used the NATO chamber for quite a few years.

For "field use" the Oly SS barrels are my #1 choice.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Go with Stainless. If you're wanting accuracy at 500 yards you should look into a throated match chamber. With this setup you will be shooting 70 and 80 grain bullets. I have an Accuracy Speaks upper that I use and it will reach out there accurately
:sniper:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts