Perfect Union banner

choke question

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  goldfishranger 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I just bought a Remington 870 Express Magnum w/ synthetic stock last night. :D It came with a modified choke, and I was wondering what ammo is supposed to be shot through that. I want to shoot slugs, as well as the regular shellshot. It isn't a rifled choke though, so will I need to buy one?

Also, this is mainly just going to be a home defence / sunday afternoon target practice gun, and I was looking into the folding stock/pistol grip selling for around $70. Anyone have anything to say about that setup as far as ease of use or ergonomics are concerned?

Thanks for any comments:usa:

#2 ·
Congratulations on your new purchase. Here is a good website describing chokes; http://www.mossberg.com/anatomychoke.htm I see no need for you to buy a rifled choke, it does give more accuracy(especially with sabots), but that shouldn't be much of a factor fur just target shooting. However, I would suggest buying an improved cylinder choke. It would give you a larger pattern for close quarter home defense, and make it easier to hit clay pigeons. But you should be able to shoot just about anything through your modified choke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.