Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to Mini 14 & will be receiving my first one in a few days in the mail. I'll be relying on this gun mainly for home defense, and since I like to place a lot of emphasis on style, Im adding this particular gun to my collection, with it's add-ons (pre-ban, blued, BC folder, FH) because I think it's one of the most awsome looking rifles you could own.

But my question is about ammo. What would you people say is a good self defense round in .223, as far as stopping power?
Also, as far as accuracy, what's a good round? If there's a possibility of combining both, what would it be? Talking of course about brands that cycle well in the mini 14.

I would really enjoy your input on the questions, and hearing your opinion.
Eagle

No Longer Involved
For home defence, look at the 64gr Powerpoint (Winchester). It is a soft point bullet designed for small deer.

For accuracy, and a good price, check out 50gr flat base Federal American Eagle. Your Mini-14, unless you dump serious $$ into it, doesn't need fancy fodder, as you aren't going to get correspondingly fantastic results. Your mileage may vary, void in some states, etc.
:p

Registered
M855 ball ammo. It is designed to put bad guys or your honorable opponent on his backside. The more velocity the better. It probably will not be anymore expensive than commercial. The ruger should be able to take the higher operating pressure of the mil spec stuff.
ches

Registered
Watch out for the whole over-penetration thing. My vote for a defensive round would also have to be the Winchester Power Point loading. Not just for the expanison but for the 64gr weight which, providing yours is a late series will help to stabilize the bullet yielding the unparalleled accuracy the Mini is heralded for. (I've done 3.5" with IMI SS109, but that was on a still range after several zenfull hours of shooting weapons that were built to be accurate so I'd long since lulled my heart to sleep and completely stopped breathing. Who needs oxygen when your groups are tight?)

Registered
I see nothing wrong with going through 3 adversaries with one M855. Viva la penetratione.
ches

No Longer Involved
I guess it comes down to battlefields vs. home use.

M193 and M855 are great battlefield rounds. But in a home defense situation, overpenetration could mean your daughter or neighbor takes a slug.

bad form.

:(

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, I appreciate the great feedback on ammo. I've bought some Winchester Power Point Plus and I'm looking to maybe score some IMI M855 at a gun show next weekend (no one else in the house but me). Also was talking to a friend about HP, and went and picked up some Federal Gold Medal 69 grain hollow point, which I figure is a sure guarantee to put the stagger in some misguided person's step.
Thanks again, Eagle.

Registered
I don't know if you have a late model or not but 40 gr. Federal Blitz rounds do a number on "targets". Several police agencies I know issue and use it for use inside buildings. It never exits the "target" and travels at over 4000 fps. It is great on groundhogs too.
I've never shot the Blitz in post 88 Mini's but for short range home defense distances the accuracy should be fine. Get some and experiment.

WAR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts