Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any dremeled their stock handguard to see if it had the same effects as the choate vented handguard. College kid on a budget here and was going to see if it would work to save money haha. Should i give it a try?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I say give it a shot! Just be aware that there is metal under there -- you're not just cutting through plastic. ;)

Worst-case scenario is that you don't like it and buy a Choate anyway...

·
Registered
663 Posts
I like the choate because it matches the factory synthetic stock color to a "T".

And it gives it the M14ish look which everyone loves.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Are you going to dremel off the op-rod cover too?

The original handguard fits better and is a nicer made piece than the Choate, If it were molded (or nicely modified) in a Choate-like pattern, that would be the best of both worlds.

For me, I just went with the Choate for the $15, it really does cool a lot better than the original.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alrighty guys, I committed and started this morning. I am almost done, but i put it all back together so i could take a few pics and show you guys a little more smoothing and I think Ill have it done. These are the pre-cut marks that i made.

almost done

on the gun

showing off my new mags lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
I chose to go another route with my handguard. I always liked the look of the M1 carbine and went on a mission to find a wooden hanguard like the ones that were on the early Mini14's. I didn't have much luck so I bought a a wooden handguard for a M1a and adapted it till it fit my 580 mini 14 ranch rifle. Took about 6 hours to get it to fit and mix and match colors of stain to get it to where it looked like it came with it on there. It might not be to everyones liking but I think it looks sweet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.