Perfect Union banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know things are crazy but, Choate's ability to send out a quality product is really lacking. And so is their Customer Service.

Bought a M4 style stock on the 8th. First one arrived and looked like a 6 year old had made it. Sent it back for a replacement. The replacement arrived today. Looked a lot better but the attachment housing, like the first one had a several degree drop to it. Not a flat LOP like they show on their website (actual pic on Chaotes website) and in all of the pix I have seen of the stock
Spoke to the owner. He informed me that they had changed the straight LOP to a drop LOP. I asked why does Choate's website not mention it? Didn't have an answer. I was expecting a straight LOP on the first stock, which it didn't have, was told it would be corrected and you send me the same exact thing? Still no answer.

I get transferred to a person, who tells me, a replacement will be sent out in 7-10 business day's, after they receive the stock back. When I asked why the delay? The reason's for the stocks having to be sent back twice is Choate's fault, not mine. Was told Mr. Choate said no to any expedited shipping and I'd just have to deal with it.

So, those of you that are wanting the M4 style of stock by Choate. They have changed the design. It now has a several degree LOP drop to the attachment housing. And if by chance you have to call to get something corrected. It may go well, and it may not. My experience didn't and I'll not buy another Choate product, unless I can pick it up in my hands to do so.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
So, wait...

Are you saying you're sending in the drop-comb and Fred Choate is making you a straight-comb M4 stock like you expected? Or are you sending in the drop-comb stock just to replace it with another drop-comb?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So, wait...

Are you saying you're sending in the drop-comb and Fred Choate is making you a straight-comb M4 stock like you expected? Or are you sending in the drop-comb stock just to replace it with another drop-comb?
Let me try this again, I was sent a drop LOP stock, expecting a straight LOP stock. And As I said, the first stock looked as if a 6 year old put it together too. Was told when I sent the first stock back, it would be corrected. Straight LOP and would be cleanly made.

2nd stock arrived today, was cleanly made. Still had the drop LOP, was expect straight LOP based on conversation, returning first stock. Spoke to Fred Choate, that is when I was told they had changed the the design of the stock. Even though it does not show or state it on the website.

And, they are not making a special one. Fred Choate said they have many of the straight LOP laying around. So I'm not too sure why they didn't get it right the 2nd time? Over worked maybe, too much confusion?

Hard too say...

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Ah, gotcha. ;)

I was gonna say, if they're making a straight-comb specially for you, I'd expect a 7-10 day turnaround.

Maybe they're snowed under with folks trying to get their hands on a folding stock before the AWB-pocalypse...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, gotcha. ;)

I was gonna say, if they're making a straight-comb specially for you, I'd expect a 7-10 day turnaround.

Maybe they're snowed under with folks trying to get their hands on a folding stock before the AWB-pocalypse...
Would be a safe guess....When I spoke to Choate about the first stock, there was mention of being overly busy. Crazy was the word used.

I can understand, and relate to things. lol...But to send stuff out the door that is poorly made or, not as it should be is not a great way of doing business. First stock ok, I get it, 2nd stock not cool. And for the owner to say oh yeah, we changed the design. Wouldn't you think it would be good to inform customers of design changes, just to avoid this type of thing? Me thinks yes but, I'm half goofy. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got my M1A style flash suppressor and it just doesn't have a nice clean finish.
I have read that about other's who have purchased new flash hiders from Choate. Very poor finshes or very crude looking as in lots of marks and rough edges that shoudn't be there.

Also read in a thread I created asking peeps what stocks they are currently using on their Mini's. A fourm member had purchased the stock I bought and promptly sent it back, because the quality was horrible.

Of course, that is after I bought mine.

I have had a Choate stock on my Mini-14 since 1987. It was made well enough and at that time, Choate was the best choice for aftermarket stocks. Also have a folder I bought at the same time. You can tell a big difference between the old and new offerings. Quality of the new, is not like the old, that's for sure.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
M14 style flash suppressor From CT

Hi Guys:
Same experience here. I ordered the stainless flash hider and I received it quickly. It did NOT fit the barrel. I am a retired machinist from a couple of decades ago so I can judge the steel in my hand. I could look inside the hider and see the hone marks did not clean up all the material as in out of round. So I go into our model shop where I work and grabbed the right sized reamer and began a few hours of hand reaming which still didn't cleanup the out of round condition but I eventually got a tight slip fit onto my barrel.
Yea I called him and I could tell his responses were disingenuous like he really wasn't too concerned about sending out a piece of junk to a customer. He wanted it back and I said hell no it fits now, but I won't be back Freddie! I would call and cancel your order there are plenty of good stocks out there.
CHill

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys:
Same experience here. I ordered the stainless flash hider and I received it quickly. It did NOT fit the barrel. I am a retired machinist from a couple of decades ago so I can judge the steel in my hand. I could look inside the hider and see the hone marks did not clean up all the material as in out of round. So I go into our model shop where I work and grabbed the right sized reamer and began a few hours of hand reaming which still didn't cleanup the out of round condition but I eventually got a tight slip fit onto my barrel.
Yea I called him and I could tell his responses were disingenuous like he really wasn't too concerned about sending out a piece of junk to a customer. He wanted it back and I said hell no it fits now, but I won't be back Freddie! I would call and cancel your order there are plenty of good stocks out there.
CHill
Disingenuous, great word. That is exactly how I felt his response was to me today. And what really bothered me is the wait, they are/were going to make me go through. Wouldn't 2 -day or 3-day ship. Even though its been all on them. Sad thing, I tried to let them fix.

Late this afternoon, I actually did call and canceled the 3rd stock. Asked for this one to be picked up as agreed but, I expect a full refund, including shipping. They will not refund though until they rec the stock back. Which sucks for me, because I'll have to wait some more. Ugh...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Been hearing not to many good things about Choate's poor quality/coustomer service lately here and on other boards. Wonder what is going on?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been hearing not to many good things about Choate's poor quality/coustomer service lately here and on other boards. Wonder what is going on?
Not too sure....The high demand for product's over the last few weeks could be part of the problem. I think though, the quality and customer service issue's have been going on for much longer with Choate. I've read in several different spot's out on the web, where peep's have gotten things and have either returned the item(s) or had to correct the issue's themselves, in order to make them work.

And again, to all the peeps out there who have been thinking about the M4 style stock from Choate. When you look at it on their website. That's not what you'll get. The buttstock assembly will actually have a several degree drop, not a straight through pull as it show's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have been calling to check on some of my orders. While talking to whoever is on the phone, I have realized that quite a few of these business owners are nervous. Though business is good now, they have to figure out how much more product to manufacture to fill orders but not have any left over. Once items get outlawed, they will be stuck with whatever inventory they have. Choate has already gone through this once. I am sure he is not looking forward to the next few months. It must suck to be making more money than ever, just to not be allowed to sell anything later.

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to make excuses for crappy products or poor quality control.

The Marlin Camp 9 Carbine folding stock I got from them was in good shape though. No complaints.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, Choate didn't follow through and has stuck me with the stock. Called and got a total run around. So I'll keep it and make the best of it.

I guess, with all the money they are making right now, they really don't care what they ship out or how they treat a customer. Its too bad, prior to this, been a happy customer for years.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have read that about other's who have purchased new flash hiders from Choate. Very poor finshes or very crude looking as in lots of marks and rough edges that shoudn't be there.

Also read in a thread I created asking peeps what stocks they are currently using on their Mini's. A fourm member had purchased the stock I bought and promptly sent it back, because the quality was horrible.

Of course, that is after I bought mine.

I have had a Choate stock on my Mini-14 since 1987. It was made well enough and at that time, Choate was the best choice for aftermarket stocks. Also have a folder I bought at the same time. You can tell a big difference between the old and new offerings. Quality of the new, is not like the old, that's for sure.
I agree with what you said above. Their quality in the 80's was fantastic. Sometime in the 90's, it took a dive. I have one of their stainless folding stocks on my GB. I went through 3 of them before I found one that was built properly. The first one I had was very, very loose. The second one had a canted folding mechanism. The third one was rock solid, and actually looks decent. Although, their molding still looks like crap compared to other quality stock makers.

I also recently ordered a blue Butler Creek folder, and a blue Choate folder to try on my 580 series and compare the two. When they showed up, the Choate folder looked like absolute crap. It was loose, glue everywhere and the folding mechanism wasn't screwed on straight or level. Like the OP in this thread said, it looked like a 6 year old put it together. I was disgusted, and dumped it. Thankfully I recouped my money it.

The Butler Creek folder looked fantastic!! Lockup was tight, everything is straight and uniform, and the molding looks much, much better. The molding is also much thicker and feels more substantial than the Choate. I was always a bit put off on the Butler Creek stocks because of their overly large pistol grip, and the wire folder not giving a good cheek weld, but I've changed my mind. I actually ordered another Butler Creek folder in stainless to replace the Choate on my GB. I can live with the pistol grip and wire stock if it gets me a stock that was put together much better.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
any chance we can get a pic of what the stock looks like as shipped instead of as advertised?
Nope, since Choate stiffed me (for a lack of better words). I pulled it apart last night and started the process of getting the housing level. I can still take a pic though. I ran out of epoxy, so you can still see how much drop was actually taking place, with the housing. I'll get a pic snapped this afternoon.

Extra work on my end but, it will work out. And become a really cool stock to have.

I was suprised how rough the stock is. Lots of very sharp edges, heavy mold lines and just an over all unfinished feel. When I compare the new stock, to my 25 year old folding stock. The 25 year old stock is much higher in quality.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with what you said above. Their quality in the 80's was fantastic. Sometime in the 90's, it took a dive. I have one of their stainless folding stocks on my GB. I went through 3 of them before I found one that was built properly. The first one I had was very, very loose. The second one had a canted folding mechanism. The third one was rock solid, and actually looks decent. Although, their molding still looks like crap compared to other quality stock makers.

I also recently ordered a blue Butler Creek folder, and a blue Choate folder to try on my 580 series and compare the two. When they showed up, the Choate folder looked like absolute crap. It was loose, glue everywhere and the folding mechanism wasn't screwed on straight or level. Like the OP in this thread said, it looked like a 6 year old put it together. I was disgusted, and dumped it. Thankfully I recouped my money it.

The Butler Creek folder looked fantastic!! Lockup was tight, everything is straight and uniform, and the molding looks much, much better. The molding is also much thicker and feels more substantial than the Choate. I was always a bit put off on the Butler Creek stocks because of their overly large pistol grip, and the wire folder not giving a good cheek weld, but I've changed my mind. I actually ordered another Butler Creek folder in stainless to replace the Choate on my GB. I can live with the pistol grip and wire stock if it gets me a stock that was put together much better.
Not too sure what their other stocks are like, for other rifles (bolt action Remington's). They demand a higher price for them. Would hope the quality is much, much better.

There is a lot to be said for quality, and if we can get quality, we're able to overlook those little things.

I knew I should have went woth a Hogue. But I got a wild hair to try something different. That's what I get for thinking, sometimes I get in trouble.

Now, any one have a mil spec or commercial buffer tube they want to sell? :)

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Disingenuous, great word. That is exactly how I felt his response was to me today. And what really bothered me is the wait, they are/were going to make me go through. Wouldn't 2 -day or 3-day ship. Even though its been all on them. Sad thing, I tried to let them fix.

Late this afternoon, I actually did call and canceled the 3rd stock. Asked for this one to be picked up as agreed but, I expect a full refund, including shipping. They will not refund though until they rec the stock back. Which sucks for me, because I'll have to wait some more. Ugh...
Just for clarification as I read below I see some speculation that recent demand for products may have driven the quality, give a crap attitude. I did my flash suppressor upgrade 2 years ago. I think small businesses are being driven to extinction and squeezing pennies along the way. But the attitude is not explained.
Sorry you got the shaft :angry:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just for clarification as I read below I see some speculation that recent demand for products may have driven the quality, give a crap attitude. I did my flash suppressor upgrade 2 years ago. I think small businesses are being driven to extinction and squeezing pennies along the way. But the attitude is not explained.
Sorry you got the shaft :angry:
I'll make it work though and it will actually be better then if I did get the right stock in the first place.

When I removed the two machine screws that hold the buffer tube housing to the stock, I found it did't take all the much force, to remove the housing. Very little glue used to hold it on. And the glue used was rubber like.

Bummer thing, I wasn't ready at all for it to come off so easy. When it did, the palm of my right hand caught a knife like edge of the stock and I sliced my hand pretty good. Seems odd, knife like edge on a rifle stock.

I have a nice epoxy base started, that the housing is now sitting on and on and its level. Need to get some more epoxy from the hardware store tomorrow to finish up the job. Have to drill a few anchor holes first for the epoxy. Its got have a little bit of bite, on the slick stock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts