Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had any experience with this unit.Does is require drilling of the barrel to install,any info thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It should be a no gunsmithing required thing. Just drift out the roll pin in the front sight, remove the front sight (easier said than done), put the new sight on (make sure it's not tilted to either side), install new roll pin (should come with sight) in same factory cut. HTH.

SamK

·
Registered
1 Posts
Choate makes two flash hider units--one is only a flash hider and does use the original front site hole and a longer pin; the other is a combination flash hider/front site (this is probably what you're talking about). It goes by the name "cage flash suppressor" in the catalogs. I just installed one of these on my Mini-14. You remove the front site by driving the roll pin out, drizzling some WD-40 down around the front site, and driving it off with a block of wood and a hammer. The new flash hider/front site has to be centered EXACTLY in the same place as the old site (this is much easier said than done) and then TWO holes have to be drilled through the flash hider and through the barrel (it's marked where to drill). Then you install the two supplied roll pins and you're done. I used a drill press and level to get the flash hider/front site in exactly the right place. I also "marked" where the original front site pointed in relation to the end of the barrel, and made sure the new one pointed to the same place. Drilling the holes wasn't hard with good bits and a press, but verifying the site was in the right spot took some time. This saved me $60 though by doing it myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts