Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

No Longer Involved
Tell us more!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weapon belongs to a former boss who happens to be a Class II Manufacturer and owns an indoor range. This jewel was a full auto that was occasionally rented out and other than the normal malfunctions affiliated with the AR, he never had any major problems with it. I would have to say that the weapon had no more than two to three thousand rounds through it total. An employee (who received only minor scratches on his forearms and forehead) loaded up a mag and took it into the range and chambered one round. Squeezed off the trigger and WHAMMO.....what you see is what he got. Apparently, the ammo was either overcharged or the case was weak (not a reload by an individual).

Attachments

No Longer Involved
I'm no expert, but it looks like there is brass in the chamber.

Could it be a failure to extract, followed by a new round that slam-fired when it hit the first unextracted round?:eek:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill......
Did not get very good pics but it was plain to see by observation that the case was ruptured along one side and according to the owner, it was not a failure of the extractor. He has been in contact with the supplier of the factory ammo and they are working out details for compensations. Weapon has been sent off like you see it and there is no arguementations at all. There is always one bad apple in a bunch and I guess this happened to be the case here. I will keep you informed as to how things are going with this situation. It just simply happened to be one of those freak things and luckily no one was seriously injured. Same type of situation happened with an AK47 with a milled steel receiver and all it did was blow the top cover off and pop out the selector......nothing like what you see here but then I guess thats the chance you take with an aluminum receiver. Ya never know till ya squeeze the trigger......Have a great day!

No Longer Involved
I posted the link to this page on the M1-M14 list, and while I don't have the quote handy, basically they suggested that they've seen these before in the military. Later tonight I'll post his quick summary here when I pull that off my mail server.

Registered
:sniper: Glad to hear the shooter wasn't seriously injured!!

Registered
Originally posted by pops401
I'm with Bill. What kind of ammo?Also, how clean was the gun?:sniper:
Do tell, please.......

Hummm..........if an aluminum lower bowed that much..... wonder what would happen if it was a plastic one like Hesse or Cavarly Arms......

Registered
Correct me if I`m wrong......but that picture seems to show two blown out magazines. A 20 rnd and a 30 rnd, so did they not get the hint the first time????? LTS

Registered
Thank god the shooter or any onlookers did not get hurt but was that full auto a registered receiver or a drop in auto sear. That would suck if it is registered receiver.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts