Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why spend a fortune sending your gun out for a conversion or chance ruining your rifle yourself? A tapco t-6 stock set gets rid of the cheesy buttstock and gives you a pistol grip back. Then I modified some standard double stack AK mags. First, file the mag catch until it fits into your rifle. Then take your mag apart and add a little filler weld into the front top of the mag so the rounds ride up into the Saiga chamber. Quick and effective...and cheap in this economy.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
A few reasons. Since you no longer have a "sporting" rifle but an evil "assault" rifle, you have to maintain 922R compliance, which means 10 or fewer foreign parts in your rifle. And unless you have really long fingers, you still have to take your hand off the grip to reach the safety.

Jim

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes, Tapco parts are American made and count as "compliant parts" but the buttstock is only one part. you need the count to 10.

Your gun has the following not counting the magazine:

1 Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
2 Barrels
3 Mounting blocks (trunions) only 1 front
4 Bolts
5 Bolt carriers
6 Gas pistons
7 Triggers
8 Hammers
9 Disconnectors
10 Buttstocks
11 Forearms, handguard

So if you use a U.S. made magazine you would be compliant with the Tapco parts. If you use an imported magazine then you are 3 parts over.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently had 2 professional gunsmithing shops, (who are licensed builders of even class 3 weapons), tell me that those types of stocks are perfectly legal to install as they DO NOT change the sporting status of the rifle. If you haven't defeated the cantilevered trigger mechanisms or installed a bullet guide under the bore, you are still in the "sporterized configuration" and are good to go. They said if you alter the gun to the point of doing an AK conversion on the Saiga, THEN you have changed the rifle into an "evil assault weapon" and are subject to 922R compliance.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I recently had 2 professional gunsmithing shops, (who are licensed builders of even class 3 weapons), tell me that those types of stocks are perfectly legal to install as they DO NOT change the sporting status of the rifle. If you haven't defeated the cantilevered trigger mechanisms or installed a bullet guide under the bore, you are still in the "sporterized configuration" and are good to go. They said if you alter the gun to the point of doing an AK conversion on the Saiga, THEN you have changed the rifle into an "evil assault weapon" and are subject to 922R compliance.
Hmm... Not sure I would buy the scoop that a bullet guide will determine sporting or nonsporting configuration.
Also, the 308 comes in with the trigger in the "proper" position, although its lengthened and angled back... so I am not sure the cantilevered argument holds water either...
Vepr rifles are brought in with a proper trigger configuration and are all "sporting"...
I am NOT saying they are wrong... it just seems a little odd for those two components to be specifically named as 922R compliance standards... :blink:

:lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts