Its about a buck a bullet now for 223

this is F'ing insane.

Will we ever have normal prices again?

I need a raise to support my gun habit.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can not accept that manufacturers were so flat footed and did not perpear for customer demand.

How many $$$ of lost sales have they been hit with?

Or if they planned right how many $$$ would they had made if they took care of their customer\ and had product on the shelves.

What a missed opportunity.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Its not just customer demand, the government ordered a bunch of rounds and those contracts come first. I refuse to pay the prices some of these vender's are charging. I've got a good stash of most all ammo I shoot including rim fire. I'm just not training as much as I did, just enough to keep my skill set up. Rim fire is hard to find but I can still find .223/5.56 for .25 or less a round, just not in large quantities.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Its not just customer demand, the government ordered a bunch of rounds and those contracts come first. I refuse to pay the prices some of these vender's are charging. I've got a good stash of most all ammo I shoot including rim fire. I'm just not training as much as I did, just enough to keep my skill set up. Rim fire is hard to find but I can still find .223/5.56 for .25 or less a round, just not in large quantities.
If we all adopted the above attitude then demand would go down, supplies would go up and prices would go down!
But instead the self induced spike will continue and panic will rule.
I can see the grin on those manufacturers now! W I N D F A L L !!
But don't blame them..... blame the panic hoarders!
Fear and panic............... the great manipulator!:(

Hell, "anti's" couldn't have been more effective at curtailing shooting than the hoarders.:angry:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Will we see prices as low as they were? Probably not but chill out and lay low for a while in a few months the crunch will ease and prices will come back down to something reasonable just like they did in 2009. This aint the first time we have "seen this movie".

When they do pick up a few boxes every pay day and the next time it happens you will be sitting fat, dumb and happy and watch everyone else scramble around in crisis management mode.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't think 2009 has much to do with the current situation. I do think that 2003 is much more significant. That's when ammo, which at least in terms of rimfire, had been stable for almost 40 years and then went through the roof in two quick bursts.
$8.96 to $19.99 :( That also was the time period many of my fellow shooters reduced their shooting.
How many consumables double literally overnight? Not even gas!:eek:
Prices will drop to realistic levels when shooters say NO!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
When they do pick up a few boxes every pay day and the next time it happens you will be sitting fat, dumb and happy and watch everyone else scramble around in crisis management mode.
This is exactly what I did before this last rush on ammo.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Same here. I just wish I would have done more of it - I was focused more on mags and parts (sittin' pretty for the most part there) and combat calibers than the humble .22LR.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
169 Posts
I walked into my local gun shop a couple days ago and was astonished to find a small stack of .223 ammo for sale on the counter. I didn't even have to ask, when he saw the look on my face he explained that he was able to "horse trade" for a few boxes. Unfortunately it was pre-payday so I only had enough cash to cover my bill and get 1 box. Payed $17 for 20rounds of PMC Bronze 55gr and actually felt lucky...

I've never been so happy to be price-raped in my life.

401 Posts
If we all adopted the above attitude then demand would go down, supplies would go up and prices would go down!
But instead the self induced spike will continue and panic will rule.
I can see the grin on those manufacturers now! W I N D F A L L !!
But don't blame them..... blame the panic hoarders!
Fear and panic............... the great manipulator!:(

Hell, "anti's" couldn't have been more effective at curtailing shooting than the hoarders.:angry:
I agree. I am boycotting ammo and firearm buys until further notice. I will be shooting this summer though. Goin through some of the ammo I bought in 2008.:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sitting on enough 5.56 to last me awhile if need be, and 40 rounds of hunting .223 stuff. Like the others said, just not shooting that much and if we all did prices would fall. Helped my bud out the other day and let him have 200 rounds of my 5.56 at 60 cents a round. Got to help your true friends out.

Reb

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sitting on enough 5.56 to last me awhile if need be, and 40 rounds of hunting .223 stuff. Like the others said, just not shooting that much and if we all did prices would fall. Helped my bud out the other day and let him have 200 rounds of my 5.56 at 60 cents a round. Got to help your true friends out.

Reb
Well said. I have barely gotten to shoot since this all started, just been trying to save up enough for summer. I found a great (for these times) deal on very nice LC Brass at $10/100 and LC 2012 manufacture (not pulled) 55gr FMJs for $20/100 (both shipped.) With the Win. SR Primers and H-Varget I already stocked up on this brings my cost per round down to tolerable levels and gives me something to shoot so I can save my good 62gr and 64gr ammo.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nobody has had 22 long rifle for close to 3 months.
I went to the local sporting goods store last week they had several thousand rounds of Federal 22LR in the 525 value packs. Walmart today had a lot of Shorts,Longs and several hundred rounds of Thunderbolts in MN.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, Cheaper Than Dirt is not exactly "cheaper". Their sale prices are usually on par or above the everyday prices at Palmetto, AIM Surplus, or Wideners. That, coupled with their in-state tax and ever increasing shipping charges (plus the surcharge to get from their other warehouses) and I haven't bought from them in a while.

On the other hand, now that Wal-Mart and Academy are starting to get increased shipments of ammo, indicates the shortage is getting closer to ending, at least for the time being.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts