Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not cheap exactly, but cheap-ER. I'm talking about the .22 levergun, that they sell at Wal-mart for under $300. I've heard that they are actually OK, for a cheap version. Anybody here like or dis-like them?

I'm thinking about one, because they seem small and light, while still being a nice little gun. (I don't want a cricket.) I'm thinking of a walking in the woods/ squirrel hunting gun. :)

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, this will not be my only .22. I was just thinking about something a little shorter and lighter, than a Marlin 39A. And let's face it.....a lever gun is just better looking and easier to carry, than a 10-22.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I like the Henry Youth levergun even more than the full-size. The balance seems better. They're very nice rifles, especially for the price. Granted, not on par quality-wise with a 39A, but the price tag reflects it. They are typically accurate and reliable little buggers; what more could you want?
Skinner makes aperture sights for them, and tang sights are easily had. More practical accuracy than the stock open sights, and more in keeping with the levergun theme than hanging a scope on it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I aboslutely love my Henry Frontier!

Its my favorite gun in the house!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Henry has made guns for a long time and I have not seen a bad one yet. That is a good price thank to Wally world.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
The "cheap" Henry has a plastic barrel band and front sight that I believe are replaceable with metal parts from Henry. I drilled and tapped mine for a sling and had no issues. It's the only change I have made or will make. Well made, neat little rifle.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have heard that Henry has gotten rid of their plastic barrel bands and just use metal ones now. A call to them would confirm that, but the Henry factory was hit by Sandy and, as far as I know, still isn't up and running.

Give them a week or two and then try and call them

·
Registered
215 Posts
By the way, this will not be my only .22. I was just thinking about something a little shorter and lighter, than a Marlin 39A. And let's face it.....a lever gun is just better looking and easier to carry, than a 10-22.
Actually the 10-22 is the best 22LR made. Ruger has done a great job of perfecting this rifle.

You carry it on a sling like any other hunting gun.

It does not fit well into a saddle scabbard. But if you are riding a horse, and hunting very small game that way, then and only then would a lever action 22LR make sense.

The most popular and practical lever action rifles are used by Canadian guides, and they surely are *not* 22LR's though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It can definitely dispatch varmints with the addition of a low power scope. Im not quite good enough to do it with irons and get a clean kill.

The fun factor alone is well worth the price. And every part is made right here in the US.And it can shoot S/L/LR without issue. Couple those points with the inherent accuracy advantage of the lever action over the semi and you have a very fun, all-round great gun for cheap.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I bought a used Henry lever .22 for my wife and it's never given us a problem so far. Hasn't jammed once even with cheap ammo and is very accurate.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually the 10-22 is the best 22LR made. Ruger has done a great job of perfecting this rifle.

I don't know that I would call them the "best", but they are good....and I already have one.

You carry it on a sling like any other hunting gun.

You are welcome to carry your guns any way you choose.

It does not fit well into a saddle scabbard. But if you are riding a horse, and hunting very small game that way, then and only then would a lever action 22LR make sense.

Really? I guess you should tell that to all those people who think other wise.:rolleyes:

The most popular and practical lever action rifles are used by Canadian guides, and they surely are *not* 22LR's though.
And that has exactly what to do with a cheap Henry, or shooting squirrels?

Now really, "callmescoobydo"....if you're going to be a know it all arse of a troll, how about keep it in the politics section of the forum.;)

Thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i have a number of lever guns including some 22s. One is the "cheap" Henry. I have ONE problem with it. Its so darn light.

i do action jobs on my lever guns including the Henry. That is one slick little son of a gun. With my large hands, I can place my thumb on the tang and simply flick my fingers to cycle the rifle. I sanded, drilled and tapped, and put a large shotgun bead on the top of the plastic barrel band. Now its ready for cowboy 22 side matches.

I am definitely a fan of the cheap Henry.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have a number of lever guns including some 22s. One is the "cheap" Henry. I have ONE problem with it. Its so darn light.

i do action jobs on my lever guns including the Henry. That is one slick little son of a gun. With my large hands, I can place my thumb on the tang and simply flick my fingers to cycle the rifle. I sanded, drilled and tapped, and put a large shotgun bead on the top of the plastic barrel band. Now its ready for cowboy 22 side matches.

I am definitely a fan of the cheap Henry.
I've read enough of your post, to have a pretty good idea what your knowledge level is, when it comes to lever-guns. Your opinion carries a lot of weight with me. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks 2dumb2kwit for the words. Lots of years (71) with guns. I have been blessed with the ability to own and shoot many.

Tip: I cut a piece of chamois the width of the lever opening and wrap the lever with about four or five wraps. I seal this with the watery super glue Chemical reaction that will smoke:ph34r:. No fear.

I use the rifle in matches that I need to realy blaze some targets. Soft on the knuckles.

Here is the Henry alongside an Uberti repro of an 1866 Winchester also in 22 caliber.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Henry manages to make a great rifle for the price point.

Its not a target gun because its chambered to shoot S/L/LR, but the fun factor of shooting it is just beyond compare.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts