Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying some cheap ammo in bulk as it is very easy to go through the rounds with a mini 14. Are there any disadvantages to cheap ammo such as WOLF and other surplus ammo? Is steel-cased ammo just as good as brass-cased ammo? Any advice is very much appreciated!

No Longer Involved
Some people don't like to run the lacquered cases through their firearms. Especially when using rapid fire, and then leaving a single round in the very hot chamber for a period of time (can transfer the lacquer to the chamber).

Your mileage may vary. It is tempting, all the cheap russian blasting ammo!

Registered
For range shooting, I shoot Wolf. But if you are worried about laquered cases, try the South African or S&B ammo. In an emergency I would any ammo I get my hands on. For some .223 prices check Ammoman website.
www.ammoman.com

------------------
"Hell, I just begun to unload" -Ed Chavez 2001

"They told me, throw your guns away; return to the earth. HA! Time enough for the earth in the grave" -Ed Chavez 1999

"Giving-up is not in my vocabulary" -EDA

"Do not fear your government; that fears you" -EDA

Registered
I use Wolf 55 gr. FMJ and have had no problem. $115/1000 at ammoman.com. I also use Winchester Q3131A made in Israel $189/1000 also at ammoman.com

Feed both my Mini 14 and my Bushmaster Shorty a mix of the two brands.

A word of caution: Some folks mention extractor problems from shooting steel case ammo. You weigh the cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts