Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying some cheap ammo in bulk as it is very easy to go through the rounds with a mini 14. Are there any disadvantages to cheap ammo such as WOLF and other surplus ammo? Is steel-cased ammo just as good as brass-cased ammo? Any advice is very much appreciated!

·
No Longer Involved
2,394 Posts
Some people don't like to run the lacquered cases through their firearms. Especially when using rapid fire, and then leaving a single round in the very hot chamber for a period of time (can transfer the lacquer to the chamber).

Your mileage may vary. It is tempting, all the cheap russian blasting ammo!

·
Registered
11 Posts
For range shooting, I shoot Wolf. But if you are worried about laquered cases, try the South African or S&B ammo. In an emergency I would any ammo I get my hands on. For some .223 prices check Ammoman website.
www.ammoman.com

------------------
"Hell, I just begun to unload" -Ed Chavez 2001

"They told me, throw your guns away; return to the earth. HA! Time enough for the earth in the grave" -Ed Chavez 1999

"Giving-up is not in my vocabulary" -EDA

"Do not fear your government; that fears you" -EDA

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use Wolf 55 gr. FMJ and have had no problem. $115/1000 at ammoman.com. I also use Winchester Q3131A made in Israel $189/1000 also at ammoman.com

Feed both my Mini 14 and my Bushmaster Shorty a mix of the two brands.

A word of caution: Some folks mention extractor problems from shooting steel case ammo. You weigh the cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.