Perfect Union banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone that has done accurizing work (bedding,brake, etc. on their Mini, have changing points of impact, either between shooting sessions, or between groups of shots in a single session.
The reason I ask, is that the Mini's have a reputation for doing this, with some people at least.
Cajungeo or anyone else? thanks
btw, a guy over on TFL got 29 out of 30 rounds into 12 inches at 500 yards with a stock Ranch Mini-14. 62 grain reloads. Took his time and waited between wind gusts. Had a scope to help him.
I guess it can be done! Must start saving for 14 to go with the 30. :2guns:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hi Bam Bam, yes I have had that happen till I stoped it. Assuming you have TUNED your mini, you have a shock proof scope, carry it in your truck in a HARD case ( not sliding around in the bed), and keep the bore clean, esp of copper fouling, The temperature is the same as last time you sighted in your scope (10 degree increase will raise POI, 1" at 100 yd), the humidity is the same as the last time you sighted in ( an increase of 20% will lower POI, 1"at 100 yd.), the wind is the same ( a 10 mph side wind can move POI aprox 1" at 100yd), the altitude of the area you shoot in hasn't changed (mountain area 10,000 ft increase will raise POI, 1" at 100 yd.), ammo used is the same brand, wt, bullet type, and temperature is the same ( ammo left in the sun, or truck seat will develop higher chamber pressure), Your shooting tequnique is consistant ( same cheek weld, no flinching, squeezing a reworked trigger, same shooting position ( different positions will change POI.) ( If using a bench rest or sand bag use the same area of fore stock to rest on).
Assuming you have all the above same conditions, the problem is rate of fire causing heat build up in the barrel, this can change the barrel harmonics ( As my mini heats up excessively it has lower POI than when it's cool. Some others may be different). I keep the above conditions that I can control consistant, the other conditions I compensate for. When I shoot for accuracy I feel the barrel, if I can't hold my fingers on the barrel, I let it cool. It works for me.;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts