Perfect Union banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm curios about your opinion here since it's not 100% clear to me.

I'm owning 3 stocks for my Mini-14.

A Butler Creek Folder.
A Butler Creek synthetic with a normal shaping (like the wood stocks)
And a Archangel Sparta

Since I think the Sparta adds to much weight to the Mini I'd like to use either my normal stock or my folder and get rid of the Sparta.

The question is, if I use Leupold rings attached to the scallops and change from the folder to the traditional stock (and vice versa) would I need to re-zero the rifle ?

My answer would be no, since I'm not taking off the rings or the scope from the rings, but I may be wrong.

Best regards

Marcus

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
There is a chance that you'd need to re-zero your scope. Each stock fits the receiver and gas block a bit differently. Any pressure applied to either of the "solid" points of a Mini will likely affect Point Of Impact (POI).

·
Registered
447 Posts
You should call Rem and see what the stock should be turk at when putting the stock on!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
No need to re-zero. The stock won't change anything unless you somehow knock the sights out of alignment while changing things around. The sights (or scope in your case) are attached to the receiver which doesn't change from one stock to the next. People will argue about things touching the barrel and stressing the steel, etc., I highly doubt there's enough stress in a polymer stock to warp the barrel or reciever to the extent a Mini will be less accurate at any realistic range.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Only one way to put this one to rest.

Swap em out and test it!

·
Registered
218 Posts
No need to re-zero. The stock won't change anything unless you somehow knock the sights out of alignment while changing things around. The sights (or scope in your case) are attached to the receiver which doesn't change from one stock to the next. People will argue about things touching the barrel and stressing the steel, etc., I highly doubt there's enough stress in a polymer stock to warp the barrel or reciever to the extent a Mini will be less accurate at any realistic range.
please dont take this the wrong way but you are very wrong . force applied is amplified by the length of the lever . thats basic physics . in the real world if I change from my houge stock to my original stock I have to rezero .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No need to re-zero.
I highly doubt there's enough stress in a polymer stock to warp the barrel or reciever to the extent a Mini will be less accurate at any realistic range.
Hi SUBlime,

that was exactly my thought. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

in the real world if I change from my houge stock to my original stock I have to rezero .
Hi jwb47,

thanks for sharing your experience, do you have both stocks bedded ?

Best regards

Marcus

·
Registered
311 Posts
Taking your rifle out of the stock and putting it back in the SAME stock will change your zero. At best it'll take a few shots to settle back to close to the original zero. At worst it settles in to a different zero. In any case it'll take SOME NUMBER OF SHOTS before the rifle settles back to shooting groups, if it ever shot decent groups to begin with.

If you bed your rifle to your stock you'll have not as much trouble getting it to nest back into a repeatable zero but I've found Mini stocks to be a sloppy fit from the factory. They should ALL be bedded, in my opinion.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Related to this post but for a different weapon.
I have noticed about two inches of difference in POI at distances as short as 25m with my Socom 16 while using the leather parade sling vice not using it. The sling is attached using the factory sling mounts on the stock. Therefore I know that tension placed on the stock and not the barrel and receiver can still affect POI. Its also even known and taught by Marine Corps Gunners that a parade sling can affect the rifle by as much as 5 MOA on the M16 series weapon, however, in that case the sling is essentially attached to the barrel and any tension applied in this case is applied directly to the barrel via the sling swivel and the front sight tower.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yep. With today's synthetic stocks, the problem can be quite severe. My Savage edge isn't a good bipod shooter for this very reason. Random stock flex literally doubles the group size on a typical day from a solid rest to a bipod. I haven't done much offhand shooting with a sling on it, but suspect it won't be any different. Luckily for me, I hunt from a blind. If I need a field shot I will throw my pack down for a rest.

God Bless!

Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts