Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got any info on these? How about the rifles from century any fuction problems?
THANKS!

No Longer Involved
Century has a crappy reputation. The receivers have bad dimensions, and if the rifle is built by Century, they have a reputation for throwing together DANGERSOUS firearms.

The best bet is a real USGI Garand. Check out the CMP:
http://www.odcmp.com/

I've rec'd 2 through that program, best thing I've ever done.

------------------
[email protected]
PerfectUnion.com - It's about Freedom, Stupid!

Registered
CIAs rifles are a roll of the dice some are ok some need a little some are a lost cause. CMP or finding a one at a show or shop is the way to go. The only other one I,ve heard about is from Interstate Arms built on a reciever forged and machined at the Lithgow plant in Australia. I have not heard anyone comment on these.

Registered
Originally posted by Flak 2
The only other one I,ve heard about is from Interstate Arms built on a reciever forged and machined at the Lithgow plant in Australia. I have not heard anyone comment on these.
[/b]
Fulton Armory just posted some information on these receivers. Short story, stay away from them-just as spotty as the CAI product.

Registered
Thats to bad about those lithgow recievers I would have thought they could get it right. I hope MK has better luck with their forged M1A recievers. You would think today with CNC machines and a good ole U.S reciever to pull the specs. off of they could get it right. But I don,t write CNC programs or run the equip. so I maybe missing something?

No Longer Involved
Apparently there are many parts of an M14 or Garand receiver that can't be cut by a CNC machine. Like inside radiuses that measure in hundreds of inches (they appear as flats, but are really radiuses).

The M14 and Garand were built from machine tools that were developed solely for their use, from what I understand. If someone were to tool up for, say, 500,000 of these, the cost per unit might be reasonable. But you'd need a wartime government contract to meet those numbers.

Registered
Originally posted by djskit
Nuff Said!
http://www.fulton-armory.com/CAI-TI.htm
:eek:
TO:djskit:

Look son, If the kid wants to discuss his CAI with others who won't hassle him, let him do it. We've all probably read Fulton's CAI and Lithgow reports. Personally if someone gave me one I'd strip it, keep the good parts and throw away the receiver or use it for a boat anchor. All five of my Garands are from the CMP. If others want to go out and buy cast receiver service-type rifles, thats just fine with me. Leaves more of the good stuff for me. Was issued my first M1 47 years ago. How about you? 'nuff said!

Registered
The guy had a question about the reciever and I provided him some good information.
Futlon has a great reputation, and if they say its junk, that good enough for me. And maybe for him too. He's an adult, he can decide.
Who's hassling who?
:p

No Longer Involved
Originally posted by OldCorpsJoe

TO:djskit:

Look son, If the kid wants to discuss his CAI with others who won't hassle him, let him do it.
I think "nuff said" is just a saying. He's not telling him to stop the conversation!

The thread was started by someone looking for opinions. djskit has given his. No big deal.

Your opinions are important here as well!

Registered
I am currently building a shooter Garand from a Century Receiver and a parts kit I have had laying around for a few years. So far, so good, just had the barrel installed and head-spaced checked, no problems. I will keep you informed as I finish the gun. I also have a CMP gun, and I love it. The only problem with CMP guns now is the price has gone up. Century has their receivers on sale for $139, so I take the $120 part kit, add some elbow grease and I got a decent shooter Garand for $259. I also learn alot about Garand guns without tearing into my great looking CMP gun. Yes, I would love to have another CMP gun, but finances force me to try something else. On a different note, Has anybody ever tried Power-coating the gas cylinder assy?I did mine in Satin black and I must say, I looks good. Nobody does Parkerizing around here so again , I am forced to try something new. And on a final note, I have gotten some decent guns from Century, more good than bad, so I do continue to do business witrh them. They will let you return guns that dont meet your expectations. These are just my observations, I could be wrong.:usa: :ar15:

Registered
To gtodvr:

Sorry guy, I'm afraid you're not going to get any validation from me. I own 5 CMP Garands and have absolutely no intention of getting one of the "newly minted" M1s. My only experience with a CAI rifle was to look at one at a local dealer's. To say I was not impressed would be a euphemistically gross understatement. The only reason I posted the gunandgame URL was so those that had cast receiver M1s would have a place to go where they could commiserate with one another without being badmouthed by us traditionalists. If you enter one of the "traditional" M1 forums and want to discuss the merits of cast receivers, do not expect a rousing welcome. Good luck, and I hope you have no problems.

Registered
Joe, dont take this wrong, but I was not looking for validation from you, I was trying to answer the original question posted and reply to some comments made. Comparing CMP guns and Century guns is like comparing old Chevrolets to new Cadillacs. I believe this is a M-1 Garand Forum, you know, where people discuss M-1 Garand issues and problems. I must have missed where it said "Traditionalists only". The subject of this thread was Century Receivers, so try to stick to the subject. Are you an expert now that you picked up ONE gun and looked at it? Sure, most guys would pick a CMP gun over a Century, thats a no-brainer. I just bought the receiver only, I am building the rest of my gun with USGI parts and then I will compare the gun to my CMP gun. I then can make an objective opinion on the merits of Century Receivers. Just thinking about all this has made me go back to CMP and order another Garand ( I think I will order a Winchester and then a Beer. :beer:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts