Perfect Union banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Century arms has Bulgarian ak 74 at centerfire systems for $399 , with nodak spud receiver and new barrel ,(not chrome lined ) from what i understand , I don't know much about AK's , But it sounds like A good deal , does anyone have one or know more about this rifle ? the barrel or receiver is not true bulgarian military , how well it holds up ? Opinion.

·
Registered
201 Posts
At $399 id say you would be better off picking up a WASR2 since they have the commie hammer forged chrome lined barrel which will last longer and resist corrosion better (however corrosion shouldnt be a problem if you clean it). From what i read the non chrome US made barrels will wear out much faster especially under high volume fire.

I picked up one of the century bulgy 74s back in april when they were $350 shipped. It is built on an elk river receiver instead of nodak spud. I was fully expecting it to be a POS but it actually turned out to be quite nice, especially for $350 out the door. Granted there still are those that purchased these who wound up with poorly built rifles that had to be returned, I did not. It has not had a single malfunction since day one. At this point ive only put close to about 2000 rounds of surplus 5.45 through it and so far it is holding up nicely. No unusual wear. Plenty accurate. Last time i took it out i constructed a hillbilly style target made of 3 x 6 steel plates nailed to a log. eventually the plates began to fall off leaving only a few hanging on the log in random spots. With irons i was able to hit a 3 x 6 rectangle from 100 yards with boring consistency and in my eyes that is sufficient for an AK pattern rifle, especially a $350 dollar rifle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Stallone's right. A chromed barrel is always better when NIB. But if it's commie surplus, it may be very worn. I've heard some described as "sewer pipes" or even "smooth bore". I wouldn't want to buy one unless I could inspect it first.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I believe the WASR2 rifles going around now are all new from the factory. Shouldnt have surplus barrels, but i would definitely inspect regardless i was purchasing.
A company called Henderson Defense sells "certified" AKs that are pre inspected for defects such as canted sights. They should have some WASR2s in stock. Worth a look IMHO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts