Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I took a chance on some non-Ruger Mini-14 mags from CDNN. I've seen mixed feedback on them both here and on the Ruger forum, but couldn't resist. I bought two of the straight (M-14 style) 20-rounders (Ruger Mini-14 .223 20rd Premium Blue Mag New Replacement) for $13 ea. and one 30-rounder (Ruger Mini-14 .223 30rd Blue Mag New) for $15.

Tried all of them out over the weekend in my 185-series and my 582-series Tactical. They fit in both rifles - with bolt opened and/or closed - perfectly. All cycled flawlessly when firing. Had a tiny bit of trouble loading the 30-rounder at first, but got through it.

Ruger factory mags are the best, but I'm happy I got these! Good quality, great price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i was wondering about these magazines, thanks for the report, i might give the straight one a chance, as it looks aesthetically pleasing to me.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Wow they do look good.

How do they look when in the gun? I tried a really crappy straight 20 once it shot down from the gun at a backward angle, towards the trigger gaurd.

Got rid of that guy half an hour later

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pet-Rock: The straight 20-rounders look awesome in the gun, just like an M-14/M1A. I'll try to take some photos of them in both my rifles and post them here later tonight.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Wow, I had a totally different experience with NAT1420 mags for my 582 series Mini 14. CDNN was great and made it right without question by taking the bad ones back and selling me real Ruger 20 rounders, but the National 20 rounders were a complete failure. Neither brass case 223 nor steel case 5.56 would feed into the Mini 14. The attached picture shows what I think the problem is. Where the Ruger mag is a bit wider than the round is long, the Nat 1420 mags are too narrow and the tip of the bullet binds on the front edge of the magazine. To compound the problem, the spot welded catch on the back edge of one Nat mag broke off and jammed in my mag release. No damage, but I did have to fool with it for a while.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The two I bought (20 rd straight mags) had a 10-20% FTF rate. They look great, but my factory mags run flawlessly. I don't gamble on mags for any of my autos anymore. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ones that I got were actually item #JB1420, not NAT1420. Not sure who manufactures them, but they work great.

I do have a couple of stainless steel National Magazine 20-rounders that I got from the Sportsman's Guide last year. They work pretty well, but are not perfect. I had to file the the little hole in the front (not sure of the proper term...) to make it bigger and bend the feed lips down a little.

CDNN is a great company - my mag order made it from Texas to Vermont in just two days!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As promised, here are a couple of pics of the straight 20-round mags in my 185-series Mini.

·
Registered
663 Posts
:eek:

I gotta have a couple!! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
New Mags from CDNN

I ordered 2 of the 20 round mags from CDNN (#JB1420) and liked the fit and finish so much I ordered 4 more with out trying the first 2. Went to the range this morning and used all 6 mags. No misfires or failure to eject. I fired 60 rounds of TulAmmo .223, 55 gr. steel case and 20 rounds of Wolf .223, 62 gr. HP steel case. New Mini 14 Rancher stainless, 581 series. I have had no problems or misfires or failure to eject in 155 rounds.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi capacity can be had. Some people will sell Pre-ban also.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Anyone have experience with a post - 580 series? I would like to pick up some 10 rounders for my 582. I live in NY - can't get higher cap.
My experience is that the new factory 10 rnds are best for the 580+ minis. be aware though that these mags work with 10 rnds with an open bolt. I cannot get the mag to "click" in with the bolt closed. They do not however work consistantly well in the older pre 580 minis.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took all 3 of mine out last weekend and did some plinking and even some bumb-firing and they worked great! Used them in both my 185- and 582-series rifles. The straight 20-rounders look best in the wood stock 185.

I will be ordering more soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts