Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who may be interested, CDNN Sports has their 20 round Mini-14 straight profile magazines back in stock at $12.99 ea. I hesitated last time they had them, because I wasn't sure of the quality, & they sold out fast. This time I jumped right on them.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Jongeo, that is GREAT news. Ten minutes of "fiddling makes for a great mag.

Misfire: expect questions!

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Misfire will pipe in once he reads this, but it is essentially filing/smoothing out the follower to more closely match the Ruger factory one. IMHO, the springs and followers are sub-standard, but three of the four I got earlier this year worked fine after a little dremeling and fine sand paper. Couldn't get the fourth one to work well, but I am sure that if I can ever find some Ruger factory followers and springs, they would be better than the Rugers of late.

You might also need to adjust the lips a small bit (I had to with two of the four) and just smooth them off a bit with some sandpaper.

Can get extra strength springs from Brownells and/or MidWay, it is just the followers that are hard to find. And the springs won't work with the CDNN followers.

Aside from the price, they also look better, IMHO.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I kind of suspected that these mags aren't Ruger OEM quality but I wanted them because of the straight looking profile. CDNN is in west Texas & the shipping notice I received had them coming from somewhere in Florida so I suspect they're Chinese made, or some other similar country.

Don't know why Ruger doesn't make their mags with the straight profile instead of the banana looking curve.

·
Banned
631 Posts
I almost bit, but then hesitated as I was very suspicious of its quality unknown. Prices is pretty cheap but I will prolly go ahead and buy a few anyways. I did purchase 4 mags of Ruger factory 20rders last month and it to had quality issues on spot welding. IMO it was pathetic but it did functioned without a hick up. One Ruger mag has 1 additional spot welds over the others plus the back end are not flat and has some flaring.

·
Registered
69 Posts
... I am sure that if I can ever find some Ruger factory followers and springs, they would be better than the Rugers of late....
it is just the followers that are hard to find....

Aside from the price, they also look better, IMHO.
factory followers

$3 ea. at Midway, in stock.

Wolff magazine springs

at $17 ea (& out of stock) these pretty much negate the cost advantage of the CDNN mags...

Midway's search function is broken. Had to search from outside their web site to find both of these.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
NetLar, thanks!
I found - and ordered - four followers and a three-spring set at Midway not long after I made that post (yesterday morning). It is hit or miss as to availability of the followers (have been checking off-and-on for the past eight months or so), but I didn't recall an availability problem with the springs (that are now out of stock). I must have just made the order under the wire!:cool:

The $17 price for the springs is for a set of three. So, for a grand total of $34, I got enough to do three mags and have a spare follower. They'll be here Friday.

My first order of business will be the one CDNN mag that keeps nose-diving the rounds. The other three work without issue for now but if they do start acting up, I have the followers and springs for two of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
CDNN also has the best price/availability I've found for genuine Ruger 10 rd magazines for the Mini 14. There are a few vendors online that list them a bit cheaper, but they never seem to have them in stock.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RJF is correct about these mags. I just received my order in this afternoon's mail & cycled a couple of dummy rounds through my mini & the 1st wouldn't go. Seems there are lip burrs & other irregularities that need to be corrected.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Yup. Should do a complete disassembly and clean things up, to include de-burring inside as well as the follower and lips. Try and get the angles on the rear of the follower to match a Ruger follower as much as possible. A little bit at a time. Round-faced hand file or a dremel on slow. I smoothed them off with 1500-grit paper, but 800 would probably do fine. Depending on the mag, you may need to adjust the angle of the feed lips. I used a wide set of slip-joint pliers, but needle-nose ones will also work. My biggest challenge was the one that kept nose-diving inside the mag, which is why I was interested in the Ruger followers and springs (the CDNN mag don't work with a Ruger follower). I'll probably regret not getting another four CDNN mags, but I already have close to 20 mags for my two Minis. Probably enough (yes, I know - blasphemy!). They do look great, though...

In the for-what-its-worth department, I also found that they work better (if you insert on a closed bolt) with the top round on the left side (looking from the rear of the mag, pointy end away from you).

·
Registered
69 Posts
In the for-what-its-worth department, I also found that they work better (if you insert on a closed bolt) with the top round on the left side (looking from the rear of the mag, pointy end away from you).
Good to know, thank you.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Well, got the last CDNN one working now. I made a discovery that contradicts an earlier statement I made. The CDNN springs do work with a Ruger follower. That wasn't the case when I swapped out a Ruger follower from one of them many months ago, so perhaps the design of the followers I just got is different from my older 20-round Ruger mags...

A while back, I recall reading a post that it was cheaper to build a 5-round mag (using all Ruger parts) than to buy one complete. It struck me as odd, but this AM I did some checking at Midway:
Ruger Factory 5-Round Mag: $24.99
--or--
Ruger 5-round Mag body: $8.49
Ruger Mag Follower: $2.99
Ruger 5-round mag spring: $2.99
Ruger Mag Bottom Retaining Clip: $1.99
Ruger Mag Bottom: $2.99
Total Parts cost: $19.45

Go figure...

·
Banned
631 Posts
Got my CDNN mags in and the they look a lot better built then the new Ruger factory mag. Will try to get a chance to shoot in the next few days and have some pictures of the welds on Ruger mags.

·
Banned
631 Posts

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I'm beginning to believe CDNN is selling factory seconds. While several others have commented on the "quality" of factory mags they got through other sources recently, they have usually agreed that the CDNN "rare find" factory mags are worse. That was my experience as the two factory mags that came with my 583 were far better in quality than the CDNN factory mags (still not as good as my 36 year-old mags).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've not had any problems with the one magazine I bought from them. I'll have to admit that I've only loaded five rounds each time, as I've been shooting five round groups of various hand loads to try to find the most accurate. So it's at least a fine five round mag. ;)
It looks good with the drilled safety lever, barrel strut, and other touches that make it look like a mini M14, which is why I got it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm beginning to believe CDNN is selling factory seconds. While several others have commented on the "quality" of factory mags they got through other sources recently, they have usually agreed that the CDNN "rare find" factory mags are worse. That was my experience as the two factory mags that came with my 583 were far better in quality than the CDNN factory mags (still not as good as my 36 year-old mags).
Is there such a thing as 'factory seconds' when it comes to Ruger accessory magazines? I would think that the units would either pass post-production inspection or not leave the factory. Or, at the very least, be marketed at a reduced price as factory blems: fully functional, but with cosmetic flaws. The five 10-round Ruger Mini 14 magazines I bought last summer through CDNN all came in identical Ruger blister packaging, just like the ones that hang on gun shop racks.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Is there such a thing as 'factory seconds' when it comes to Ruger accessory magazines? I would think that the units would either pass post-production inspection or not leave the factory. Or, at the very least, be marketed at a reduced price as factory blems: fully functional, but with cosmetic flaws. The five 10-round Ruger Mini 14 magazines I bought last summer through CDNN all came in identical Ruger blister packaging, just like the ones that hang on gun shop racks.
As did my four 20s. Still, they were considerably sub-standard compared to the ones that came with my Mini-14 this summer.

I'm pretty sure Ruger contracts out the mag production to someone rather than make their own. I know the design differences in the welds between my two Ruger 30-rounders and the four CDNN Ruger 20-rounders I got this year were vast. the Ruger 20-rounders wouldn't even latch into my 181 Mini without some serious malletizing of the ripples on the back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts