Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few live fire CCW that I use to help improve accuracy and speed. They also help cut down on cost for those of you who have to pay for your targets at your local range.

Drill #1 requires 5x7 note cards.
Cut a small stack of note cards in half then take one set of the halves and cut them down the middle again making one stack of note card halves and one stack of quarters.

Staple the note card quarter to the head of a normal human silhouette target and and of the halves to the center of the chest on the right on the breast bone.

The drill is to draw from concealed and fire two rounds to the chest and one to the head aiming for the notecards in 2 seconds or less with all rounds on the notecards.

Drill #2
Utilizing the notecards from the previous drill and loading one magazine of 2 rounds into the weapon and having another mag of 3 in your reload pouch.

Draw and fire the drill the same way that you would Drill #1 aiming for the note cards, when your weapon runs dry speed reload and re fire the drill, 2 too the chest and one to the head.

These two drills utilize the "aim small miss small" concept and you will notice smaller groups almost immediately as compared to a normal target.

In my unit I actually got these drills implimented for use during CQB in a live fire shoothouse where all the targets had the notecards and you had to aim for them while clearing rooms on the move. I made it a competition between my squads and fireteams (depending on the level of operation) to see which squad/team had the most precise marksmanship.

Also due to the changing geometry of fires inside the house you could see which teammate shot each target from what positions inside the room and (due to the angle of the rounds striking the targets) and be able to tell which individual actually fired the missed shots.

If your teams are really good you can simply hang chemlights from 550 cord at chest level on the walls or targets (if you are using moveable bullet traps) and zap them on the move as well. Makes for a cool light show and you can't mistake a miss for a hit!

·
Registered
147 Posts
did I understand you to say hitting 1" or so square targets, 3 of them in 2 seconds, from a ccw draw? lol, that I'd like to see. Most guys here will have trouble, honest electronic timing, doing such a draw and hitting the head, just once, at 7 yds. :) Everybody has trouble doing this in 1.5 seconds, average of 5 draws, and "cold", no warmup draws, and no throwing out the "goofs".

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can video tape it next time if you wish. I'm not BS'ing I have nothing to prove and the times and targets can be adjusted as necessary. The drills are just a base line idea. Most of my Marines can't do it in that time either. It is the goal of being able to do that that you should be training for.

I tend to set unrealistic goals for myself and work and work until I get as close as I can. I rarely hit all 3 and when I do I never beat or even equal 2 seconds. That is just my goal.

Trying to reach that goal, however, has made me a much better shot and has served me pretty well in IDPA as well. If you can do it static on a square range than your overall time will improve in whatever situation you are training for.

The square on the head is 1x2 approx and the one on the chest is 3x3 approx.

Practice makes permanent.

·
Registered
147 Posts
they are unrealistic, all right. :) Since the brain is a 4" circle, why bother with a smaller mark. Any vidoes showing a ccw draw and hitting 3 1" marks, at 5 yds or so, in 2 seconds or less is RIGGED and a lie, period. Maybe with bs stopwatch "timing", but not with a reaction time on an electronic timer. Robbie Leatham himself would not bet on the ccw draw and first hit taking less than 1.3 seconds, at 5 yds, and no, you aint switching over to 2 other marks, that small, at that range, in .35 second each, and you ain't THE GREAT ONE, either.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL you obviously did not read the first post.... or the second... there is not a 1x1 target at all and you are simply shooting 2 too the chest one to the head, on TWO seperate pieces of paper one is 1x2 and the other is 3x4ish and it is actually a pretty simple drill, simply riding the recoil up to the head. The Marine Corps CQB standard for a transition/failure drill is 3.5 seconds ( the Marine is also going from having a rifle leveled to pistol drawn and 3 rounds fired). So 3 rounds in two seconds from concealed is very doable and that I know I can do, however, accurately placing all 3 rounds on the small targets that I described is the difficult part.

·
Registered
147 Posts
it's not just difficullt, i'ts pure luck if it happesn. I've run ccw leatherslaps, and I've been known to be as fast as they come from concealment, so I know that getting ONE chest hit, including the reaction time and a REAL ccw draw, not bs with coat left hanging open, in 1.0 second, as an average of 5 draws, at 5 yds, is VERY tough, and getting another such hit in 1/4 second is world class, and then getting a head hit in 1/2 second more is very tough, too. So, no, I dont believe that more than a handful of men on the face of the earth can do this, reliably, under the conditions that I state, and the small aiming points are just bs. and bad training. the enemy is not going to be wearing a nice bullseye, and such practice might cause you to "fixate" oon some "target" that is not centered where you wish it was.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So you toss the rifle or let it hang on the sling and draw from an OPENLY worn rig, to a 2 handed stance? That is doable,for the first hit at 7 yds, in 1.5 seconds, maybe 2,0 seconds if you have to deal with the rifle swiinging on the sling, so another 1.5 seconds for 2 more CHEST hits is quite easy, at 5 yds or so. That is a VERY long ways from the ccw draw, 2 hits on chest and one to head.

CCW hurts most guy's draw time by at LEAST 1/2 second, and slows down the very best by at least 1/4 second. SINCE i KNOW THAT PEOPLE CAN'T READ, I use caps to draw attention. REAL ccw is done under a shirttail, sweater, sweatshirt, or with the coat FASTENED SHUT, cause of wind, decorum, rain or cold. It is stupid to practice with an open coat, when quite often, it will be FASTENED. The 2 draws are very different, so I only teach the "brush" with the gun hand for "1 hand disabled or occupied" drills. One hopes to hell one is never without both hands, if ccw draw.

This is one of the reasons that I favor front pants pocket carry. None of this bs about clearing the garment, just have your head out of it enough to NOTICE a risky situation is at hand and have your hands in your pants pockets. Nobody pays any attention to that, and it saves the average guy nearly 1 full second of time that would otherwise be lost getting a proper firing grip on the gun. That 1 second is 4-5 chest hits that can be obtained, so it is not a trifling matter.

Now that Diamondback, Boberg, and RorBaugh have given us TRULY pocketable 9mm's, and CorBon's 100 gr PowRball 9mm ammo is 1300 fps from a 3" barrel, truly does expand in flesh and has the polymer ball in its nose for reliable feeding, pocket carry has become fully feasible as a defensive ccw mode.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually that drill I mentioned for CQB is done all the way out to 25 yds for us. and I run my CCW drills EXACTLY like I CCW. Tshirt over weapon, Pull shirt up with left hand, right hand establishing combat grip, pistol come straight up from holster safety coming off, weapon rotates muzzle up towards target as weapon is pulled to center chest and left hand mates up with the weapon, from here you can begin firing as you punch out to a solid two handed hold

1 - 8 of 8 Posts