Perfect Union banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in anyone's experience in shooting cast bullets in a Marlin 1894 with the dreaded Micro-Groove barrel. I have one that I would like to use in CAS but one batch of cast bullets I tried at magnum velocities wouldn't group worth spit. I wondered if anyone has had much experience with cast loads at cowboy velocities.

What say y'all?

Doc :wacko:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well,
I see a couple of problems:

#1 is that SASS maximum velocity is 1200 fps from a rifle barrel (for safety reasons - SASS targets are generally set very close) Do NOT try loading magnum velocity rounds and taking that ammo to a SASS match

#2 even warm-ish loads need be loaded with a hard cast bullet. The best I've ever seen (or used) is the Oregon Trail "Laser Cast" bullet. These are available from either Oregon Trail directly or from Cabelas or Midway... but lead ain't cheap to ship.

#3 The Micro-Groove barrel has been dropped by Marlin in their Cowboy rifles line... MicroGroove works well enough with jacketed ammo, but the Ballard rifling is superior for cast bullets, however; at SASS ranges, the MicroGroove barrels shoot well enough to get the job done. The targest are close enough that the less than stirling accuracy is any kind of a real problem. I recommend keeping the velocity of SASS ammo between 800-900 fps. While those aren't magnums, they sure aren't mouse-fart loads either and stout enough to build the kind of muscle memory you'll be able to use for stouter magnum loads.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Cast Bullets

I cast for almost all my toys. Even the .30 Carbine:
30 M1/ 7.62x39 mm311410
Light weight 30 cal plinker without gas check. Good 7.62 x 39 bullet
DC Mould

Top Punch

This shoots great in my carbines. I shoot lead in my Ruger PC-4 and both my 1894's. .357 and 44. Only time I had a problem was with a Lee mould that was under sized in .44. That mould would key hole out of a Ruger .44 Carbine I had.

I use wheel wieghts and I drop them into a five gallon bucket of water from the mould. They are very hard.
If you cast quality bullets, they shoot fine!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts