Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run into a Mini-14 ranch rifle that kicks the brass more up than sideways? I know for a fact that my brass is coming out at >45° from horizontal, and is smacking the scope windage turrent. I'd consider the gas bushing change, but only after finding out why it's sending the brass upward in the first place....

Thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Are you sure it is hitting the scope and not the operating rod? Most minis will dent the case from where it hits the rod on the way out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm positive some cases are hitting the scope. I've got scrapes, etc. on the turrent cover to prove it! Is it possible for them to hit the rail first and then bounce up into the scope? I tried taking a movie of an ejecting case, and it looked like it was going out at about a 50° angle. That was manually extracting the case; I haven't tried taping it at the range yet.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum rwfisheriv. The Ranch mini, throws the brass out to the side, while the regular mini throws brass up, and out. The Gas Port Bushing kit will not change the direction as much as the force it is ejected. I would cycle ammo thru manually, you can see the case stricking the ejector, pivoting the case out of the extractors grasp. Could it be your scope windage knob is not completely on the horizontal plane? If you have target turrets, they are longer than std ones. Will your eye relief forgive you moving the scope a bit more fwd or rearward?

·
Registered
291 Posts
You could try and replace the extractor you have with a new ranch extractor. It is possible that there is a difference between the standard and ranch extractor and you have a standard one on yours. Standard minis will send brass up and to the front while the ranch will send the brass directly to the right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome, guys. I just pulled the rifle out of the case and checked for brass markings on the charging handle and/or scope. There are a few splashes of brass on the highest part of the charging handle, so it is getting struck. There is also a small amount of brass on the receiver back by the rear folding sight (!). I'll post some pictures later.

I just stuck in a mag with 10rds, cycled them through manually, and noticed something interesting. When I slowly work the charging handle, the rounds come out more or less to the side. When I really yank on the handle, they tend to come out more vertically (which is what I've observed before).

?

Maybe time to call ruger.....or just order a new extractor claw and start fiddling with the old one.....

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
If you send it to ruger they will fix it for free.

·
Registered
145 Posts
both my mini-ranch and mini-30 throw the brass up and foreward about a 20 degree angle to the barrel, some cases go 20-30 feet. Shot a groundhog once and the case came out with enough force it broke the winshield of my jeep.
RR

·
Registered
291 Posts
One thing you might also check is the ejector which is under the removable plate on the left side of the reciever. Take it out and see if it is broken or bent. That could cause the extracted round to eject improperly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So if you have a newer model Mini-14 (ss) and mount a scope, is the extractor a drop in interchangeable piece with the RR that one could order and replace so you can side eject shells?

-davey

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
rwfisheriv, Geno may have something there you can slide the bolt back, and observe the ejector/bolt lock slide thru the slot in the bolt face. There is not much room for it to work being bent, but then maby it dosen't take much?

Davey, I wish I had a regular mini to compair, I am guessing the bolt would have to be changed also, as the ejector slides thru the bolt ejector slot as the bolt moves backward, or the extractor on the regular mini may be located in a diferent angle on the bolt face to pivot the brass at a different angle. Maby the ridge runner can take a gander for us, and post.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Umm, I don't think this operation will be as easy as you think...
My father has a regular Mini. I will bring my Ranch with me when I go down to Milwaukee today for Thanksgiving and give you my diagnosis...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cool... thanx for the info. It may be easier just to modify the existing extractor to get a less vertical angle.

-davey

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think my extractor is OK, but I'll double check it against the manual drawings. My thought was that it might be possible to remove a small amount material from the extractor claw so that the pivot point would be a bit lower...of course if you removed too much material the case would swing right into the charging handle and cause more problems. I think I'll try the bushing mods and a recoil buffer (wanted to do that anyway) and see what happens; if the mini still throws the brass into the scope I'll get a spare extractor claw and start filing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts