Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

No Longer Involved
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, my uncle gave me an old Sporterized Carcano.

Soon after accepting it from him, I discovered that ammo for this beast was worth more than the rifle itself (grin).

Registered
Could'nt agree with you more there. I am sure that there are probably some of them out there that will....shoot accurately, but the majority that I have seen can't hold a very good group. Makes for a good brush gun if ya can hit what yer aimin' at and can afford to shoot it. Have a great day!

No Longer Involved
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I should do is post some pix of it here and open it up to the highest bidder. At least it could serve some spare parts for those who already own a Carcano.

Registered
One real problem, esp if it's a 6.5Carc, is that they used gain twist rifling, and if the barrel has been shortened than the remaining twist will be to slow for the standard bullets. Not a real problem if you handload and can find shorter (lighter) bullets.

G

The 6.5 Carcano cartridge is actully a good, ballistically accurate round. The Carcano rifles didn't do it justice, in my opnion.

I think it can be rechambered for the 6.5 Swedish and maybe some other caliber, I researched it once but I can't remember. I posted some links in the "supermembers" forum.

Bill, could you put those links up here? Might be interesting... ;)

Registered
The problem is not with the gun it is the ammo!! The 6.5 ammo that is on the market made by Prvi Partizan only measures .2615", for the longest time it was the only game in town for the 6.5 Carcano. The Italian military ammunition averages .2685". Hornady now makes ammo that is the correct diameter for the 6.5 Carcano. In my 91/28 TS (short barrel) it's the difference between a 5+ moa and a 1.5 moa. It is custom ammo and you can get it at "Box" Gun stores off the shelf or you can buy the bullets to reload. If you reload, the Priv brass is good for that. The Carcano gets a bad wrap from the wrong ammo and the Warren commission, which is a discussion for a completely different thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts