Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Majorminus (intesting handle). Don't know about carbon fibre, but fiberglas rods will TRASH a barrel even with the guide. Fired muzzleloaders for years and have seen excellent barrels ruined by use of those rods--of course they get alot more use in black powder guns, but wear is wear.

You can polish steel with fiberglas and I expect carbon fibre is even worse. Years ago they touted brass cleaning rods, then plastic coated and finally said steel was best as the hard surface did not get imbedded with abrasives. I use a steel rod with muzzle guide. Pull through may be best alternative.

Maybe like Fords and Chevvies?

:confused:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey MAJORMINUS. I have extensive fiberglass, and carbon fiber experience. I can say that carbon fiber is very hard, and I use carbide cutters to dirll, route etc. It is very good for arrows, fishing poles, and secret aircraft. I use a pull threw on my mini. An uncle mikes tactical cleaning kit, but also have used weedwacker line, with a melted ball on one end and a diagonal sharp point on the other to thread on patches. It works well, and is cheep.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Cajundude (you are good). I used to not that wear ocurred most at two places. Worse at muzzle and then where the rod bowed and hit the rifle when cleaning. A pull through avoids that!!!;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts