Perfect Union banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok been told I'll need to find a good carbon cleaner for my AR bolt any idea what will work best? I use Butches Bore shine for copper fouling of the barrel but need a product to prevent carbon build up, will also use it on my pistols too.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
It's a tall order to find a product that will prevent carbon build-up on an AR-15 bolt and bolt carrier group, as these are generally the most dirty places you'll find on an AR-15.

That said, I've used several products that seem to help...to a degree:
  • CLP
  • Gibbs Brand Protectant
  • Ballistol

For cleaning, I like to use either Hoppe's No. 9, or non-chlorinated brake cleaner from wally-world. The brake cleaner is cheap and it really helps to strip the grease and gunk from the BCG assembly. That said, you still need to "scrub" things with your brush.

I also use a AR-15 Carbon Scraper from Sinclair. This works fantastic for removing the carbon fouling generally found in the hole for the bolt on the bolt carrier. (just remember to only go in the specified direction for the tool to "scrape" the carbon fouling)

I've also started to experiment with a somewhat newer lubricant called "Frog Lube". Now, I don't have a lot of time using it yet, but it's claim is that it allows you to simply wipe your carbon-fouled parts off with a rag, once they have been "treated" with the product.

Truth be told, I'm a little suspect how this would work for an AR-15 BCG, but I've used it on a couple of my pistols and it does work well. So, it's something else for you to consider.

Hope this helps. :cool:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I don't want to spend lots of time cleaning but I like a clean firearm. I use cheap spray carburator cleaner. Walmart usually has the best prices. I take mine apart and clean it in a small cake pan. I dump the remaining dirty cleaner into a laundry detergent bottle and let it set and the heavy particles go to the bottom. I then reuse the cleaner. I dump all my petrolium based cleaners into the bottle so I can reuse them after the carbon and crap falls to the bottom.

Many years ago carburator cleaner was really harsh and potent. It seems to have been nutuered from what it was years ago. I still do not let it come close to any wood. It will remove the wood finish. Remove all wood from the metal or remove the metal from the wood.

Some of the spray cleaner is alcohol based (brake cleaner) and it doesn not mix with the petrolium based cleaners. I let it evaporate away. If you don't like either cleaner you can use paint thinner or WD 40. Both take longer to clean with but will do the job. Here again, I dump the remainder into the bottle for later re-use. You will still need a brush to remove the carbon from the back of the bolt. I don't know of anything that will take that burned on carbon off except for elbow grease. Use carefully. kwg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alaj70 for the advice. I've only shot a few rounds the Colt AR since getting the gun due to a death in the family. As with all my guns I took the time to lube it with my personal favorite Slip 2000, its what I've been using for the last 5years. I was just hoping there was a spray on carbon cleaner that I could use that would make the job a little easier.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
You can buy a product called "top end cleaner" (GM sells a good one) that you pour through your intake to remove carbon from pistons/heads.
Simply soak your bolt in it for a few minutes, than wipe off the gack

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been hearing from a few guys locally that Simple Green is a very good cleaner that does a very good job of carbon removal. Anyone here ever try it? If so whats your opinion on this easily available low cost alternative?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Sea Foam is available at most Auto Parts stores, I think Wal-Mart even sells it. It is pretty pretty much the same sort of "top end cleaner" that Tailgunner is speaking about. I have used it in cars for years, never thought of using it for an AR.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've tried just about everything, and I've found it best to just stay on top of things. I clean my rifle after every range session. I don't care if I fire ten rounds, or one hundred. I clean my rifle as soon as I get back home. Having said that, keep in mind I don't detail clean the rifle every time. Most of the time, I simply clean the bore and chamber. Then I wipe down the bolt assembly, charging handle, and the inside of the upper receiver. I then re-lube and put back together. No scrubbing or scraping. Every third range session, or after alot of shooting, I detail strip, scrub, scrape, and break out the q-tips and pipe cleaners. I use PB Blaster penetrating oil to clean, and I re-lube with a good heavy gun oil. I avoid cheap russian ammo, because it's too filthy. I try to shoot good quality ammo. You would be surprised how much cleaner the rifle stays when shooting good ammo, versus the russian stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts