Perfect Union banner

Can't Close Bolt Load a Mini?

9K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  FoxTangoAlpha 
#1 ·
Does this apply to ALL mini-14s?

I am referring to inserting a loaded magazine with the bolt already closed. I don't store my Mini14 with bolt to the rear (as you shouldn't), so should I need to quickly load it I would first have to lock the bolt back. I don't like this. Can any of the Mini14 variants be loaded with a closed bolt?

On a side note... looks like most of my magazines are faulty :angry: Hopefully this new Firearms Ban doesn't happen, and I can buy some quality magazines.

#9 ·
If you pull a charging handle back and release, then you end up where you started. How does your post have any relevancy to the topic? Sorry, but it seems you are trying to smart off... apologies if I received it the wrong way.

How many round magazine? My 10 round mags dont like to lock in with a closed bolt if the mag is full. if i put 9 in its good to go. Ive also heard it doesnt like to lock in to the mag well if its an even number.

and outta curiosity why shouldnt you lock the barrel back? Isnt that the only way Rugers factory storage lock would work?
I've tried my 20 round mag and a 15 round mag. Maybe it loads with one less bullet because it gives some space to be pushed down when loading. I'll have to try it.

Leaving the bolt closed serves the same purpose you shouldn't leave your magazines loaded for extended periods of time. The spring will lose its "spring", and will no longer expand with its original force. We have to make sure to empty our mags every now and then at the armory because we don't want to be caught in a firefight with a magazine that won't feed rounds.

Now, I'm not sure exactly how long it takes for this to happen, but I've found plenty of magazines on the job that are no good.

Looks like I'll trying loading one less round.

Also: safety may be different on the civilian side. I remember plenty of occassions where firearms had to be on SAFE with the bolt to the rear so that everyone knew those rifles were empty. Since I've been in the military, we clear the weapon and then send the bolt forward and load a magazine. That way, should we need to, we can quickly charge the rifle and fire.

#4 ·
How many round magazine? My 10 round mags dont like to lock in with a closed bolt if the mag is full. if i put 9 in its good to go. Ive also heard it doesnt like to lock in to the mag well if its an even number.

and outta curiosity why shouldnt you lock the barrel back? Isnt that the only way Rugers factory storage lock would work?

#11 ·
I agree with the above posters. If I've got a full mag, especially the 30 rounders (mine are Tapco Gen II), they can be especially hard to seat on a full mag. I've found my mags, if I don't count, can actually hold 32 and then there is not just a hard spring to compress further but a spring that CAN'T be compressed further and the mag won't seat. 28-29 rounds seems to be the sweet spot for mine for ease of mag seating. Haven't messed around with my 20 round mags much to get a firm count, but the principle is the same.

#12 ·
None of my mags -- even the factory 5-rounders -- will lock in place under a closed bolt. I don't store my Mini with the bolt locked open, I just lock it open before inserting a mag.

But this is my coyote/varmint gun... I don't use it for home defense or have any reason to "need it right now." That's what my Colt Defender (nightstand) and 870 (under bed) are for. ;)

#16 ·
No problem for me. 581 series ranch rifle, I keep a full 20 rd mag inserted in the well with the bolt closed. I honestly havent noticed any difficulty seating the mag but the bolt will put a small dent in the top round in the mag. If I could not seat a magazine with the bolt closed I would not be happy.

#21 ·
1st post but had to chime in as I was concerned that my new 30 wouldn't accept mags with the bolt forward. Much to my relief it functions as it should. Granted this is with the Ruger 20rnd mag. I'll update once I receive my after market mags. Having said that, I would like to point out that this Ruger mag is the highest quality mag I have ever had the pleasure of using and I've used alot of magazines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.