Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that someone else is asking the same question, which prompted me to ask as well.

I am not too familiar with ARs, and I don't know what model I have. I bought it new around 1978-79. It has the 20" barrel with flash hider, triangular forearm, and no foreward assist device.

What is this thing called? (Watch your language, M1A fans!)

No Longer Involved
It really depends!

What's the manufacturer? If it is Colt, it has a model number on the receiver. Post that here.

20" barrel, triangular front end, and no FA usually makes it a straight AR-15. We use M16 nomenclature to talk about the differences between types. A1 addedd the FA, I believe, and A2 was the new sighting system.

You might have an SP1. I'm not that familiar with the earlier Colts.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have specified that it is a genuine Colt. Was anyone else make AR15 clones that early?

No Longer Involved
Not sure if there were.

Do you have a model number (not serial!) off the lower receiver?

The AR15.com site is SO SLOW right now. A couple of years ago they had an "Identification" page for Colt AR's. Let me see if I can find it.
<later>

Couldn't find it there, but here is a link that may help you:

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/variants/

Looks like an SP1, the original AR-15.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooops. I looked and I'll be darned if it doesn't say SP-1 right on the side. It's a little hard to read and I never noticed it before. Thanks. I guess this the original, bare-bones model AR 15, no? I bought it from a friend who was desperate for money one day and offered me this thing for $325. This was, I thought, around 1978-79 and he'd had it for a year or so although it was still unfired in the carton when I got it. But according to Wilson's book, the serial number indicates a 1981 manufacture date.

Jeez, I just noticed that SP 1 is even in the serial number. That may be why I was confused on the date. The number appears to be SP1 and then it's in the 52,000 range. I may have thought it was SP and then 152,000.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I am still a little confused. I went to the site linked above and according to the info there the early SP 1 should have the three-pronged flash hider but mine is the birdcage type. The mystery continues.

Registered
Eugene Stoner designed them. He was working for Armalite at the time. Colt bought the design. :sniper:

No Longer Involved
Originally posted by SaxonPig
Well, I am still a little confused. I went to the site linked above and according to the info there the early SP 1 should have the three-pronged flash hider but mine is the birdcage type. The mystery continues.
It could easily have been changed along the way to the birdcage. In addition, don't put 100% weight behind that page. Your mileage may vary.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bill- The gun came to me new in the box, so I know it has not been modified.

The serial number starts either SP 1 or just SP. Do you know which? I am curious because I can't figure out if the number is 52,000 or 152,000 (depends on whether the 1 is part of the model prefix).

No Longer Involved
I'm no colt expert, but I'm pretty certain the 1 is part of the SP-1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts