Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I was at the gun shop yesterday and I bought a S&W 586 4"barrel, blue for......$215!!!

Of course I went and shot it right away and she is a keeper! I have ordered some more service grips from Smith because these are pretty beat up and the little gun needed some TLC which I was more than happy to give.
I would really like to try to find out when this gem was made. I know that it is possible to get an approximate date of manufacture with the serial # and I was wondering if anyone could help me with this model??
Also, I can try to post a pic if anyone wants to see my new baby. I am kinda proud of it. I own a glock, kahr, and taurus pistols, but there is just something "right" about a revolver. Thanks for any help and thanks for letting me gush about my new gun.

Serial number is AJY5xxx

·
Registered
102 Posts
Either late 1986 or early 1987. S&W has always been a bit "approximate" on serial numbers, not publishing exact records. I think they want folks to cough up the $30 for an individual gun search.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little town called Bald Knob. Its about 50 miles from Little Rock. To the Northeast. Have you ever been out to shoot the IDPA stuff with the Central Arkansas Shooters Assoc.? I picked up some info from them at a gunshow in LR and I'm thinking about trying it sometime.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I go through Bald Knob once in a while. In fact, I'll be driving through tomorrow on my way to Mountain Home. If you see a black Dodge Durango with governement plates go by be sure to wave.

I did the CASA shoot one time but it was so hot I vowed only in winter. I don't take the heat well. I miss the snow.

The Little Rock show has grown to be pretty good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pull those grips off and check the inside where its milled out. Sometimes they stamp the date and year of production there. I had the same question for my 629, and S&W wanted $50 to tell me. The 1st time I disassembled the gun I saved the $50...Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts