Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to this forum and also new to my mini 14 580 series..I would like to know if I can shoot 5.56 in this mini....Any additional help would be greatly appreciated....Thanks Joe USMC :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
The chamber is actually cut 5.56 instead of 223 from the factory on all but the target model

·
Registered
77 Posts
Without a doubt. My 580 Ranch chews up and spits out anything I feed it. Since 2007 have only had 2 FTE's both with steel cased ammo after not cleaning for a while. Now if I use steel I always brush the chamber.

Eric

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I would like to know if I can shoot 5.56 in this mini
If you can find any, and its not a target model go for it. I find that Federal M193 ball works best in all of mine. PPU (Prvi Partisan) tends to leave more brass chips (soft?), and I have never shot steel cased in any mini.

BTW, "Independence" brand is actually Israeli surplus M193 spec'd ammo being brought in by Federal. Good stuff. :D

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
167 Posts
Grumpy: That's a coincidence. I have been shooting the Federal M193 ball and the Privi Partisan (62 gr. boat tail). However, have not noticed any brass chips. Will watch closer for it. Anyway, It seens to be good ammo with no problems.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I was wondering about the PPU stuff, as that was all I could get for my ration the other day at$7.97/box from WM.

Eric
Its not my favorite loading, but I've been buying it too. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the brass chips thing, since it really was just a minor PITA during cleanup after firing a lot of ammo - I used to fire 2-300 rounds of .223 during a range session and afterwards it seemed like there were more chips than usual. Man I miss those days where I could go out there in the early morning and burn powder all day long, with no real care at all about the .22LR's I fired. Now I just write on the fora, clean my guns, and keep searching online for ammo....

PPU is reasonably clean stuff and I have never had a misfire.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Steel cased okay here.

5.56 is okay. However, if possible, stay away from steel cased ammo. If you must, regular cleaning, including the chamber is good advice.
"if possible" for me is a problem, the prices TODAY make it impossible, have been shooting steel cased here for years and YES we clean her up after every time she needs it. The Mini's both 14 and 30 seem to do rather well with steel cased stuff! To each his own :rolleyes: I also shoot .223 and 5.56 like it makes no difference in these rifles, cause it don't! Ruger saved us on that.:wacko:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.