Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am relatively new to the mini 14 world. I tried digging around on the forum but I can’t seem to figure out if this stock will fit my gun. I have a 197 series, and it has a butler creek folder on it. I am trying to find an older style wood stock, and I found this one, but I can’t figure out if this is 180 series, or from a later gun. Anyone know if it will fit? The seller doesn’t have any info on the original mini 14.
Wood Musical instrument accessory Natural material Wood stain Varnish

Kitchen utensil Wood Tableware Wood stain Musical instrument accessory

Tableware Kitchen utensil Wood String instrument Tool

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

· Formerly "raf"
4,263 Posts
One thing's for certain: you will need a metal fore-end liner, an internal mag-well reinforcement bracket (and its screws and lock washers), and possibly a butt plate and its screws.

No Expert, but the stock should fit your 197 series Mini. Others will know for certain.

If the HG is original to the stock pictured, it is likely a 181 series HG, as 180 series HGs had a Garand-like semi-circular attachment clip. Mini-14 forend /barrel guard Again, someone else will know more than I do.

Suggest you consider this unit as a replacement butt plate if OEM unit is present, and is a fragile plastic unit: Buttplate, Blued Steel (Replaces Factory Plastic; Incl Hardware &

Same company also sells replacement stock reinforcements and fore-end stock liners and their screws and so forth.

It may be necessary for you to "shim" your wooden stock if the stock is a loose fit on the barreled action, as many Ruger wooden stocks seem to be. If necessary, this is usually an inexpensive and easy DIY project which can considerably enhance accuracy. Insert unloaded barreled action into the wooden stock without the trigger group installed, and try to "wiggle" the barreled action side-to-side and fore-and aft. If any movement is detected, then consider shimming the stock.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing's for certain: you will need a metal fore-end liner, an internal mag-well reinforcement bracket (and its screws and lock washers), and possibly a butt plate and its screws.

No Expert, but the stock should fit your 197 series Mini. Others will know for certain.

If the HG is original to the stock pictured, it is likely a 181 series HG, as 180 series HGs had a Garand-like semi-circular attachment clip. Mini-14 forend /barrel guard Again, someone else will know more than I do.

Suggest you consider this unit as a replacement butt plate if OEM unit is present, and is a fragile plastic unit: Buttplate, Blued Steel (Replaces Factory Plastic; Incl Hardware &

Same company also sells replacement stock reinforcements and fore-end stock liners and their screws and so forth.

It may be necessary for you to "shim" your wooden stock if the stock is a loose fit on the barreled action, as many Ruger wooden stocks seem to be. If necessary, this is usually an inexpensive and easy DIY project which can considerably enhance accuracy. Insert unloaded barreled action into the wooden stock without the trigger group installed, and try to "wiggle" the barreled action side-to-side and fore-and aft. If any movement is detected, then consider shimming the stock.
[/QUOTE

· Registered
734 Posts
Here is a pic of the butt plate too. I think I will replace it.
And for what it is worth...I have Mini-14's with the plastic butt plates that I have used for decades with no trouble, I have never had had to replace one due to damage or failure. YMMV

Reactions: RJF and M92PV4U

· Formerly "raf"
4,263 Posts
Thanks for the help! If I am not mistaken I believe the butler creek stock my mini is wearing uses the same reinforcement and screws. I will post some updates when I get the stock.

An undamaged and/or relatively un-scarred plastic butt plate may be of value to "collectors" on e-sale of the rifle, so suggest replacing the item and preserving relatively undamaged OEM butt plate. Submit that installing a slightly heavier (and far more durable) metal butt plate will add some weight at the rear of the Mini, and so make the muzzle a little more "lively" and more "pointable". YMMV.

Seldom see a "military-grade" firearm with a wooden stock and a plastic butt plate. Suggest there is a reason for that.

IMHO, Ruger substituted the plastic butt plate as a cost-saving measure, not because it was better. Far from it, IMHO.

Suggest you buy a relatively cheap set of fore-end liner and stock reinforcement. The reason is that every rifle is different, and every stock is different.

It may be that the stock reinforcement requires some slight modification in order to ensure proper fit in conjunction to the "legs" of the barreled action. My Mini, bought for cheap, had the "legs" of the barreled action over-riding the stock reinforcement, and so making mag install/removal very problematic. Uncommon, but it happens.

I filed-down the stock reinforcement so that the "legs" of the barreled receiver "butted-up" to the modified stock reinforcement, as was intended by the designers. All was well afterwards, and the mini shot a bit better.

Suggest buying new units, checking their fit carefully, and if fit is not right, modifying the stock reinforcement to suit the "legs" of the barreled action.

Regret getting into somewhat advanced detail, but there it is. BTDT. The parts you need are cheap. Buying and installing the required metal parts will save you a lot of time/hassle when changing stocks.

· Registered
12 Posts
I got the stock today. If fit really well. I love how it turned out. I thought I would like the Choate hand guard but I think the wood looks better.
Very nice looking Mini! The wood hand guard does look real good with the wood stock. I'm no expert, but I believe that the wood HGs like you have are very hard to come by and are considered rare and somewhat valuable. I'd replace it for everyday use, and keep it in case I had to sell the rifle. Enjoy!

· Registered
5,858 Posts
Pretty much, any model of a Mini-14 (except the 180-series) is interchangeable in terms of stocks. I've dropped a 181-series stock into a 583-series stock with zero problems, and vice versa. As noted before, the liner and mag-well need to be there, but they're available for little coin.

· Formerly "raf"
4,263 Posts
Not so sure as it pertains to wooden Mini-14/30 handguards, but US MIL opted for fiberglass handguards for M-14 for various reasons. One reason was wooden HGs being torched under full-auto or rapid semi-auto fire.

Another issue was wooden HGs being fragile and damaged under typical field excercises.

Sugest either the Choate HG, or the Ultimak Scout rifle platform

· Banned
1,052 Posts
Not so sure as it pertains to wooden Mini-14/30 handguards, but US MIL opted for fiberglass handguards for M-14 for various reasons. One reason was wooden HGs being torched under full-auto or rapid semi-auto fire.

Another issue was wooden HGs being fragile and damaged under typical field excercises.

Sugest either the Choate HG, or the Ultimak Scout rifle platform
Ah, I could be mistaken but i don't think he has got a full auto Mini 14, nor do I think he intends to trudge into combat. But hey I've been wrong before 🤣

· Registered
377 Posts
One good looking rifle !!!!!!!!!! Where could I get the flash suppressor/sight ? [email protected] Doug 770-630-8173
I have the same flash suppressor/sight got it from Choate, you can also try at Midway or Brownell's. It works on the skinny barrel won't work on the newer ones.
Camouflage Military camouflage Machine gun Air gun Military person

· Formerly "raf"
4,263 Posts
I have the same flash suppressor/sight got it from Choate, you can also try at Midway or Brownell's. It works on the skinny barrel won't work on the newer ones. View attachment 68129
Choate makes different I.D. "Short" muzzle units for both early and late mfr Mini-14 barrels.

"Long" muzzle device (as pictured above) only available for "pencil" barrels, currently. I suggest the short unit because it is effective as a flash suppressor, and it does not add unneeded length to the Mini.
YMMV.

· Registered
377 Posts
Choate makes different I.D. "Short" muzzle units for both early and late mfr Mini-14 barrels.

"Long" muzzle device (as pictured above) only available for "pencil" barrels, currently. I suggest the short unit because it is effective as a flash suppressor, and it does not add unneeded length to the Mini.
YMMV.

Yes they do I have a short muzzle unit on my Mini 30 now and I also used to have one on my Mini 14.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts