Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Open question to any of you who own Marlin Camp Carbines. If something happened to your Carbine, would you replace it with the same model, get a different caliber, or get some other make of semi-auto Carbine?

I presently have a couple of Mini-14s and a Hi Point 9mm carbine. The Hi Point 955 shoots well enough but I just don't have any pride of ownership in the cheap looking thing. I have decided going to sell it and either get a Camp Carbine, a Ruger PC-x, or one of the Berreta CX4 carbines. I kind of have the same cheap gun aversion to the Kel-Tec Sub-2000 FWTW. Looking for any good feedback you care to offer from your carbine experience.

I find 9mm attractive for the ammo cost, and the .40 S&W offers about the same wallop on the receiving end as does the .45, with the advantage of higher magazine capacity to the .45. So for me I probably wouldn't buy a .45 ACP version but I realize .45 is a great round. I realize there isn't a .40 Camp Carbine. Hopefully Ruger will put the others back in production and start offering a .40 cal at some point. So today that leaves me with the Camp Carbine 9mm as what I would likely get unless I go with one of the Ruger or Berreta models.

·
Registered
345 Posts
why don't you have pride of ownership in your hi point? I have the 995 with the new stock and love it. yes the old design looks bad but the new stock is cool and has enough rails tohang just about anything you want. ati makes a drop in stock for the hi point that looks 90 percent like th beretta carbine.

every time i take my hi point to the range i get people thumbing their noses at it. then i let them shoot it and then they realize why i like it so much.

taurus is coming out with a line of pistol caliber carbines that lok cool but hard to justify en my hi point does the same thing at a third of the cost. i have everything from military surplus to high dollar stuff and the hipoint is one of my favorites to shoot.

this is all just my opinion of course. if your hi point is as reliable as mine just spend 89 dollars for the ati stock upgrade and you have your beretta carbine

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
The Hi-Point is a fantastic carbine and comes with a real no BS warranty. Having owned a 9mm and a 40 S&W in Hi-Point the only issue is the 9mm mags (proprietary) and Hi-Point will often replace when they become a problem. Thousands and thousands of rounds out of the 9mm, coupled with poor cleaning practice and the rifle performed flawlessly. Throw the muzzle brake that they offer on it and it will look mucho better. I buy the things for pennies on the dollar from people who are stuck with the look factor, perhaps you would want to sell me yours if it is that ugly? :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just wish that Hi_point would use a double stack mag in their 9mm carbines. I don't own one but have fired one, It fired any 9mm without any problems.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
When the Marlin came out it was quickly labeled a hobby horse even by the Manufacturer friendly mainstream gun press. It had problems running dirty and needed to be cleaned every 500 rounds. I put a spacer in mine in place of the magazine safety and ran the snot out of it to the point of filthy. It shot until it was as dirty as you can get the average 10-22 and still worked. It left after a couple years in AR. due to the limited range of the 9 for rural living folks. I loved it and if my finances where then as they are now I would still have it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
+1 on the double stack mag. that is the only drawback to the gun. i have over 1000 rounds thru mine with zero failure.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I posted the thread, I wasn't aware of the aftermarket enhancements to the Hi-Point. So I am going to start a new thread specific to the High Point Carbine enhancements.

The 10 round mags are a limitation one can't get around though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hmmm. I have been thinking that the Hi-Point Carbine in 9mm will probably be my next firearm purchase. Although I will admit I'm in no hurry to own one since I have enough guns to keep me happy with the range time that I get.

I love the look of the Marlin but the few I've seen for sale are all way too high for my purposes. I'd be happier with the Hi-Point that can take a beating without me feeling guilty for not treating it better!

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
Marlin Camp carbine

I have run many 100's of rounds through my Camp 9 with no more attention than a squirt of rem-oil or 2 in the receiver every couple 100 rounds. last I cleaned it was filthy dirty from cheap winny white box and some guatelmalan.
I have seen the new hi-point 9 the new stock is definitely a step up. some mag maker produces a 15 round for it. quite a bit of firepower.
a nephew has a kel-tec that looks cheap but looks can fool ya'. it's a shooter and actually prefers the +P 124gr Golden Sabre rounds I load up, quite accurate with the irons. he nails beverage cans @50 yds near every shot off a standing rest. a man sized target @100 would be in deep kimshuue
there's a big boost in +P ammo out of a carbine barrel. a good bug-out gun and my Camps (I have a 9 and .45) are my Mini back-up and a loaner for family member if needed.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
Any Ruger PC carbine aficionados here? I am interested in some user feedback.
;)Yup-got one in "nine"para,shoots like 10-22,very accurate,no jams,no ftfs,uses same mags as p89s-p95s,mags up to 32 rds.....sits next to camp 45......I think it's love!:eek:
I don't like the carbon fibre magazine chute and trigger guard-at least they could have used "pot metal".<_<

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 9 and a 40, (well a 40 right now my daughter claimed the 9), but otherwise after several thousand rounds the only problem I had was a bad extractor on the 40. Sent it back to Hi-Point, they rebuilt the bolt, replaced the extractor, and replaced the front sight (it was dinged when I dropped it packing it up. They sent it back with two new Mags and a padded Hybrid Technology nylon case. It ain't gonna win a beauty contest, but neither am I, and it shoots just fine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
;)Yup-got one in "nine"para,shoots like 10-22,very accurate,no jams,no ftfs,uses same mags as p89s-p95s,mags up to 32 rds.....sits next to camp 45......I think it's love!:eek:
I don't like the carbon fibre magazine chute and trigger guard-at least they could have used "pot metal".<_<
I wonder how many of the PC carbines Ruger sold. Just looked on GunBroker and there is only one of each caliber listed.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
I wonder how many of the PC carbines Ruger sold. Just looked on GunBroker and there is only one of each caliber listed.
I remember when I bought my camp45 they were just going out of production-nobody wanted them-a year afterward everyone was looking for them.Same story with the PC9!I did see a few pc40's left over for a while!Ruger should have produced a pc45 that takes thompson mags/or 1911 mags like the camp45.:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts