Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about giving my youngest son a rifle when he graduates Marine Corps boot camp. It will probably be either a minty Chinese SKS (no bayo lug) with a spare fixed 20-round mag, or a well-used but perfectly reliable (again, no bayo lug) Plainfield M1 Carbine.

I've been a refugee from the People's Republic for a long time. Can anyone get me up to speed on what kind of legal issues or restrictions pertain to either of these rifles behind the "Tofu Curtain?"

Thanks,

Splice

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
In the peoples republic, magazines in excess of 10 rnds ( centefire ) are illegal to possess( except year 2000 and older, which are grandfathered in to the owner at the time- transfers prohibited) Also, tube feed are O.K., So no, your 20 rnd mag is a no-no here.

More bad news - the Plainfield M-1 carbine is mentioned specificly as an assault weapon under Ca. Law. You can have an IMI, or any original US military contract brand, but not the Plainfield. Also, again, no original 15 or 30 rnd mags unless you have possessed them continually in Ca. since the year 2000. He would be stuck with aftermarket 10 rnd mags. Also, it cannot be in a "paratrooper" folding stock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I guess that settles it, then. When I talk to him tomorrow, I'll offer him the SKS as a birthday present. I doubt he'll pass it up, he's no dummy. Unfortunately, he won't be able to take possession until after boot camp, due to CA's 10-day waiting period and the time it would take him to send me a copy of a local FFL's license. But, we'll figure it out. It might wind up going to another state.

Thanks for the input! I guess I'll just sell that fixed 20-round mag on gunbroker.

Hmm... Since I'm getting rid of SKS stuff, does anyone know what the prices are running for late 50's-early 60's screw-in barrel, STERILE, blade-bayonet type M 21s (Without a bayonet and WITH an import mark, and looks like it's been through a war?) Just curious. I kinda wonder if the Chinese didn't take this one back from the Vietnamese during that little dust-up they had in the late 70s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.