Perfect Union banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting one for a long time, but I'm finally getting around to purchasing a Mini-14. I'm going to drop the money for a Davidison's exclusive with the Circassian walnut stock. I'm getting it in .223/5.56.

This looks like a good forum to learn more about the rifle and pick up some tips. Does anybody have any to get me started? :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
Shoot it a good bit before getting involved in doing a bunch of mods..

I've got two Minis - got one three years ago and one last year, and the only regrets I have are that I didn't pick one up 10 years ago when I first thought of getting a Mini.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Buy it. Shoot it. Go from there.

You will want some 20 round magazines. Hoffman's has the best prices at $19.95 for a factory 20-rounder. Learn to shoot it with the iron sights before you worry about scoping it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Holy geeze.... I browsed through the forum looking at topics that jumped out at me and came across one titled "Wow! The Mini Really Does Suck". Kind of scary reading right before you plunk down about $800 for a rifle. The OP was only getting 3-5" groups at 50 yds. It went on for several pages with people taking both sides of the Mini-14 accuracy issue. I never expected the mini to be a rifle made for match accuracy, but what can I realistically expect to get at 100 yds, if I do my part? The Davidson version has the 16 1/2 barrel and a flash suppressor. I don't mind some minor tweaking, but if I have to bed the stock, cryo the barrel (whatever that is), and get a strut, I'm not sure I want to bother. :blink:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Congrats on the new Mini-14! You will like it, my Mini 14 is my favorite rifle no question.

Tips are I can give you are:

1. Only use factory magazines

2. When you first get it, take it apart and wipe down everything with a lightly oiled rag and clean the barrel.

3. Buy a Aimpoint 9000sc red dot sight, best optic for the Mini 14 hands down in my opinion!

4. Enjoy the rifle!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Holy geeze.... I browsed through the forum looking at topics that jumped out at me and came across one titled "Wow! The Mini Really Does Suck".
Just ignore that, he is probably a lousy shot with ANY rifle. If your a good shot newer Mini's will give you 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards with a scope.

Buy the rifle and don't worry!

Keep in mind the Mini is not a bench rest rifle its a tactical carbine.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Holy geeze.... I browsed through the forum looking at topics that jumped out at me and came across one titled "Wow! The Mini Really Does Suck". Kind of scary reading right before you plunk down about $800 for a rifle.
The current production of Mini-14's has a thicker hammer forged barrel that has solved the accuracy problems of the older Mini's. I've not heard of anyone putting a strut on the newer models. Mine is more accurate than I am.

Take what you read with a grain of salt. I don't remember seeing that thread titled "Wow! The Mini Really Does Suck", but just the title of the thread tells me it isn't going to be worth reading. Choose to not purchase one because of a thread like that, and you'll be missing out on a lot of fun.

·
large member
2,089 Posts
Holy geeze.... I browsed through the forum looking at topics that jumped out at me and came across one titled "Wow! The Mini Really Does Suck". Kind of scary reading right before you plunk down about $800 for a rifle. The OP was only getting 3-5" groups at 50 yds. It went on for several pages with people taking both sides of the Mini-14 accuracy issue. I never expected the mini to be a rifle made for match accuracy, but what can I realistically expect to get at 100 yds, if I do my part? The Davidson version has the 16 1/2 barrel and a flash suppressor. I don't mind some minor tweaking, but if I have to bed the stock, cryo the barrel (whatever that is), and get a strut, I'm not sure I want to bother. :blink:
the only mod i have on my 580 mini 14 is a strut & it shoots right around 2" @ 100 yards. might do better in a better shooters hands....:p

the "wow minis really do suck" was a straight up trolling thread that should have never been allowed to begin with.

basically, a mini is more accurate than an AK & less accurate than an AR. but there have been very poor and very good minis when it comes to accuarcy from what i have seen. expect 2-4" at 100 out of the box, mods should improve from there. you're not likely to shoot much better than 2" consistantly. if you want better than that, i suggest a a target mini.

also, as suggested, give your mini at least 200-300 rounds for "break in" before you decide what it can really do. my mini shot pretty badly the first 200 rounds or so.

·
large member
2,089 Posts
The current production of Mini-14's has a thicker hammer forged barrel that has solved the accuracy problems of the older Mini's. I've not heard of anyone putting a strut on the newer models. Mine is more accurate than I am.
i put a strut on a newer, thicker barrel mini & i'm happy with the results. it tightened my groups up, and keeps the barrel much cooler imo. but mine is a ranchmodel, i'm not sure how effective a strut would be on the shorter barrels of the tactical.

but you will get the best results from a strut on the older minis.

·
Registered
369 Posts
What I have done to mine is put on a Choate Handguard, a Choate M-14 style Compenstator with sight, a B-Square sidemount for my Bushnell 3X9X40 scope, an M-1 carbine rear sight, an Accu-Strut. I get all my 20 rd mags from Hoffman's, and I also use a 1911 buffer. I have owned a Mini 14 at one time or another since 1984, had one stolen (SS side folder) and GB's, Ranch modles and standard ones ( had to sell when going overseas in the military), and none of them ever failed or disappointed me. I now own a Mini 14 Ranch, and I also have AR and AK but the Mini tops the list. Don't forget to get a good cleaning kit (Remington or Otis) that uses a cable so you can clean it fron the breach, and use good cleaning solvents and oils, I use CPL and Gun Butter. The Gun Butter all but eliminates friction on the bolt and other moving parts, all I fell is the spring resistance. Have fun breaking in your Mini.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to order it tomorrow (Monday) morning. I currently own an AK-74 Tantal, a S&W 15-22, a Rossi 92 lever rifle in .357 as well as a Beretta 92 and a 1911. I love every stinkin' one of them for what they are. AR's just don't do it for me for some reason. My S&W 15-22 is about as close as you can get and is accurate as all get out, but I find myself smiling more when I shoot the Rossi 92. The AK isn't terribly accurate, but it's better than most people give it credit for, if you understand its purpose. I'm not looking for a bench rest gun in my Mini. I'm a pretty decent shot, but I find that shooting paper gets boring REALLY quick. If it can hit a plastic 20 oz Coke bottle at 100 yards in 5 shots with open sights, I'll be a happy boy. BTW, I bring that up because I did that with the Rossi 92 a couple of days ago using semi buckhorn sights. I'm almost 60, so I had to ask my son if what I thought was the bottle was actually the bottle, before I started shooting. He almost crapped himself when I hit it on my 5th shot. Now THAT'S fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts