Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm buying some 30 round magazines for my Mini 14, the mags are Ram-Line & Eagle.

Would anyone know if the model of mags are good?

The person that I'm buying them from, is not within my city & I can not find any picture of them on the internet, are they metal or plastic?

thank you

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I own two 35 round Eagle mags. They are plastic but theyre actually pretty tough. They dont hold the bolt open on my gun after the last shot but they feed flawlessly, I like them. Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought 2 Ramline combo mags and have a 50 percent failure rate -- one split and the other works flawlessly. Definitely hit and miss.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comments on the Ram-line Magazines, I see with your comments & other forums on this magazine, that it's a hit or miss, the owner of the Ram-Line that I'm buying from, really does not like them, he said that he puts 29 rounds in the 30 round mag, because this will help the mag feed well.

He really likes the 2 eagle mags that he is selling to me, he said they are great.

My question is: why would people make plastic Mini 14 magazines?, is it cheaper than steel? I understand the ruger 10/22 mags in plastic but not the mini 14. I do have 2x 30 round & 1 x 40 plus 1 in 20 round, all in steel.

Are there any other big rifles that have plastic magazines?
:sniper:

·
Registered
217 Posts
There are plastic/"synthetic" mags made for ar-15's, ak's, and sks's as well but i dont know how reliable or durable they are....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have many of the 'no-name' mags. It really is a hit or miss situation. Many of them don't work reliably (if at all).

After reading many posts about magazines I recently purchased several of the PMI 30 round mags. They work flawlessly! Unfortunately, they cost more than the 'no-names', about $39.99 for the 30 round.

A fellow over at Rec.guns posted the following modification for the 'no-name' mags. I've yet to try it on my non-functional mags but if you have the opportunity to give it a try let us know how if works.

"There is a relative easy modification you can make to most of the aftermarket Mini-14 mags to get them to function flawlessly. Measure the distance from the bottom of the magazine locking lug to the top magazine lip above it on your 5 round Ruger factory mag. Bend the lip on the aftermarket mag up or down to the same dimension as the Ruger mag (use a pair of pliers). Repeat with the other lip. Measure the distance between the lips (inside dimension) of the Ruger mag and file the aftermarket mag to the same dimensions, if it's smaller than the Ruger. Deburr the lips with a file, radius slightly any remaining sharp edges of the aftermarket mag. The magazine lips control the top bullet orientation prior to feeding. If you can make the lip geometry match the Ruger factory mag you can usually make them work great."

Russ

Measure

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yes, the only thing is, a lot of times the magazine follower is not molded in the same shape as the Ruger follower, which I've found often results in the last round "popping" up out of the clip and landing on the ground before getting chambered!

Caveat Emptor!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts