Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a butler creek folding stock, for my mini-14.(580 series, blue)
I seem to have run into a little problem. The stock went on kind of snug, compared to the factory stock, but what got me, was when I tried to put the trigger group back in. I can't come close to spreading the stock enough, with my fingers. It looks like I'll need to shave a good .125" off of the sides, to get the trigger group in.(This is "eyeballing", I haven't measured it, yet.)

Can anyone tell me if this is normal, or am I the one in a million that got a stock that requires work to fit?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
140 Posts
580-series with the taper-barrel are a smidge wider in the receiver and gas area than previous models, and not all accessories work with them straight out of the box. Some have 580-specific versions, some not.

·
Registered
34,484 Posts
So the receiver and gas block on the newer 580s really are wider, and stocks made to fit earlier Minis are too tight for them, then.

This is unfortunate if so ... but the price of progress I guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just purchased a new 580-series with tapered barrel and wanted to add BC folding stock as well. Could you let me know how it worked out for you and what modifications were needed? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just purchased a new 580-series with tapered barrel and wanted to add BC folding stock as well. Could you let me know how it worked out for you and what modifications were needed? Thanks.
I think I just got a bad stock. It was bowed in, on one side. I think that was causing the problem.

I've sent it back to Butler Creek, so I guess I'll know something in a week or two. I'll post the results, when I get it (or another one) back.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought a new Butler Creek folder for my NRA Mini and it was similarly tight. I worked with it long enough that it went in finally. She runs great. Have some patience and work the stock a little. It will conform.

·
Registered
34,484 Posts
Ah, good news :D

My BC folder works great for my 187 series; glad to hear that it should also function well for any 580. Thanks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I bought a butler creek folding stock, for my mini-14.(580 series, blue)
I seem to have run into a little problem. The stock went on kind of snug, compared to the factory stock, but what got me, was when I tried to put the trigger group back in. I can't come close to spreading the stock enough, with my fingers. It looks like I'll need to shave a good .125" off of the sides, to get the trigger group in.(This is "eyeballing", I haven't measured it, yet.)

Can anyone tell me if this is normal, or am I the one in a million that got a stock that requires work to fit?

Thanks for any feedback.
I think it is perfectly acceptable, and as another member said it is better to play a little with the stock to make it fit, than having one loose. On my own 580 Mini I had to file some material to make the receiver and the trigger group to fit, but it was easy enough and the rifle definitely shot better afterwards.
Don`t forget you need the metal reinforcement, washer and screws that the original all weather version do not use. The original metallic under-barrel liner is used on the BC stock.
You will be pleased with the results when your replacement stock arrives, I guess.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it is perfectly acceptable, and as another member said it is better to play a little with the stock to make it fit, than having one loose. On my own 580 Mini I had to file some material to make the receiver and the trigger group to fit, but it was easy enough and the rifle definitely shot better afterwards.
Don`t forget you need the metal reinforcement, washer and screws that the original all weather version do not use. The original metallic under-barrel liner is used on the BC stock.
You will be pleased with the results when your replacement stock arrives, I guess.
Thanks for the info, and I understand what you're saying, but I should have stated that the slot was .120" smaller than the trigger group. I was affraid of the stock being thin, if I ground that much off.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

Well, I sent that stock off to Butler Creek. Less than two weeks later they contacted me, and said that they were going to send me a new stock. They said it should be to me in 7 to 10 days.

As of today, I still haven't seen it, so I gave them a call. I was told that they are back-ordered, and they won't have any until some time in april.:angry:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I recently bought this stock for my 196 series and also have the same problem when installing/removing the trigger assembly. It's a very very tight fight and is a real pain the ass, but I love the way it looks and how comfortable it is so I guess I can live with it :ar15:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hmmmm... I've been ponder a BC forlder for my NRA mini. I have one for the 10/22, and I really like it a lot. If all it takes is maybe a little sanding, I will go ahead with the order. I don't plan on making the BC folder the permanent home of the NRA mini, as I do like the Hogue stock. The gun will be switched back and forth between the two stocks.

Any details tips on fitment will be appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My BC was tight but I just worked it in a left as is. It will loosen up after a while mounted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's good to have them tight...it will help with accuracy. It realy isn't necessary to remove the gun from the stock that often so I wouldn't worry about it being too tight.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Hello everyone, this will be my first post and probably not my last. I just picked up a new Mini-14 Tactical a few months ago and I had an old 2007 gift card from Cabelas that I forgot to us, so I picked up BC folder with it this week.
While seeing how all the parts fit I encountered the problem with the trigger assembly not fitting. Noticing that the walls bow inward I am trying to lightly stretch the walls for the trigger assembly to fit. I ordered the pair of screws, washers and heat shield but what I am wondering is if I should order the trigger assembly stock reinforcement part as well? My first guess would be no, but this is my first Mini and I want to make sure that I set it up right the first time. I am probably going to look for a used Mini-14 or Thirty to swap out the Tactical but I want to assemble this for the time being. I will take all the suggestions I can get. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I ordered the pair of screws, washers and heat shield but what I am wondering is if I should order the trigger assembly stock reinforcement part as well? My first guess would be no, but this is my first Mini and I want to make sure that I set it up right the first time. I am probably going to look for a used Mini-14 or Thirty to swap out the Tactical but I want to assemble this for the time being. I will take all the suggestions I can get. :)
I ordered all the parts you are talking about and installed them. It works great. Stock reinforcement and all.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I order all the parts except the Stock reinforcement. LOL So how tight was the fit after you installed the stock reinforcement part? I can't imagine trying to install another part with how tight the stock is now. Do you have any good advice or tricks on how you installed your parts?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I will work on doing a photo journal with before and after images but give me at least a 2-3 weeks. I just got my e-mail from Brownells that my parts will be shipped today with 4-8 days ground. Again if anyone has tricks to share I am all up for reading and learning. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts