Perfect Union banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my 580 series synthetic stock Mini 14 out to a Butler Creek Folding stock. The installation went fine --tight fit and smooth no hitch firing. My BCF stock has two screw mounting holes (one on each side) and I fully expected that I was going to have to order a stock reinforcement plate and associated screws and washers as my synthetic stock did not come so equiped. It only had the forearm plate which I transferred over to the BCF stock. The research I did prior to take down seemed to indicate that this was going to be the case. However, the fit is so tight and operation so flawless, I am wondering if I misunderstood about the necessity of a stock reinforcement plate. Is the stock reinforcement plate a strength issue requirement for the BCF stock or is it ok to shoot without it ? If the plate is not needed I guess I will order a couple of screws to plug the holes unless there are other dress alternatives anyone can offer. Thanks for your time and interest in answering my questions.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I recently changed my 580 series synthetic stock Mini 14 out to a Butler Creek Folding stock. The installation went fine --tight fit and smooth no hitch firing. My BCF stock has two screw mounting holes (one on each side) and I fully expected that I was going to have to order a stock reinforcement plate and associated screws and washers as my synthetic stock did not come so equiped. It only had the forearm plate which I transferred over to the BCF stock. The research I did prior to take down seemed to indicate that this was going to be the case. However, the fit is so tight and operation so flawless, I am wondering if I misunderstood about the necessity of a stock reinforcement plate. Is the stock reinforcement plate a strength issue requirement for the BCF stock or is it ok to shoot without it ? If the plate is not needed I guess I will order a couple of screws to plug the holes unless there are other dress alternatives anyone can offer. Thanks for your time and interest in answering my questions.
The BC stock was designed to use the stock reinforcement, just like the Choate and Tapco stocks. I would use it as designed. If its all ready a tight fit, nothing wrong with getting the action a little bit tighter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I recently made the exact same swap, with similar results. I went ahead and put the stock reinforcement in there. What's happening is that you're getting a lot of pressure from the sides of the stock, that's why it's hard to get the stock/trigger guard to go in. The stock reinforcement is going to give fore/aft support, especially around the area where the trigger group grabs the upper part of the action. It also provides a bit more protection for the sides of the mag well, should keep your mags held in place a little better.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The dimensions of the receiver for a wooden stock Mini is different than the dimensions of the receiver for a synthetic stock Mini. On my BC stock, I have to use the reinforcements with my wooden stock 183, but my 581 which came with a synthetic stock the receiver will not go into the BC stock with the reinforcements installed. The 581 fits perfect without the reinforcements, but you do have to plug the screw holes for esthetics.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Agree with what wxl said. A friend in another state just got the BC and said there is no way the trigger group would go in with reinforcement in there. 581 series plenty tight!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the comments -- very helpful insights. My Mini 14 is a 580 series. Is it the same as a 581 series as far as the dimensions of the receiver goes ? In looking at the fit I now have, I do not see how a reinforcement plate will work unless a lot of force is applied to seat everything. I guess I could just order the reinforcement plat and hardware and give it a try, as my observations concerning the final fitting could be wrong. Bottom line I want the set up to be correct.
Best Regards,
SCRebel

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a 580 series, and I just put it into a BC folding stock about 2 weeks ago. It will fit with the reinforcement plate. Mine did anyway. As far as I know, the 580 series has the same dimensions as the 581 and 582's. I do know the 580+ receivers are a tad wider than the older Mini's. That's part of the reason why people have a hard time fitting their new Mini's to the BC stocks. Butler Creek designed these stocks in the 80's off the older receivers.

When I first fitted mine, it was getting hung up on the top, left corner of the receiver. It will eventually go in, but you need to keep pushing it in, and pulling it out. It will eventually drop in. Same with the trigger group. Keep working at it, and it will push in. Another trick is to try using a heat gun. Warm up the stock, and it will eventually "give in", and the receiver and trigger group will drop in.

Once you get it in, go shoot it a few times, and it will settle in even more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NiteOwl --- thanks for your comments and advice !! I'm going to order the parts I need this weekend from USA Midway.

Best Regards,
SCRebel

·
Registered
397 Posts
After some more fiddling with this stock. The reinforcement piece will fit with a 581 series and it is tight!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I went shooting today and while I was cleaning my mini's I measured the width of the mag well on the receivers. The one on my 183 measures 1" wide and the the one on my 582 measures 1 1/8" wide and the stock reinforcements are 1/16" on each side. I search but could not find anything about the whether the difference is due to the model number or due to the original stock being wood or synthetic. The BC measures 1 1/8", same as the factory synthetic stock for my 582. I did a search but could not find any more info on this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:Reinforcement install in Butler Creek Folding Stock

I received the reinforcement plate, washers and bolts that I ordered from USA Midway in short order. The install into the Butler Creek Folding Stock went very smoothly -- about as close to a "drop in" process as one could expect. No trimming, filing or forcing to make it all come together. Took about 10 minutes. Went out in the back field and fired off several test rounds -- single round and rapid fire -- no jams of any sort. Off hand accuracy did not seem to be impacted by stock change. My 580 series install in the BCFS is tight, neat and functional. Thanks again to all for your comments and advice.
Best Regards,
SCRebel

·
Registered
206 Posts
I received the reinforcement plate, washers and bolts that I ordered from USA Midway in short order. The install into the Butler Creek Folding Stock went very smoothly -- about as close to a "drop in" process as one could expect. No trimming, filing or forcing to make it all come together. Took about 10 minutes. Went out in the back field and fired off several test rounds -- single round and rapid fire -- no jams of any sort. Off hand accuracy did not seem to be impacted by stock change. My 580 series install in the BCFS is tight, neat and functional. Thanks again to all for your comments and advice.
Best Regards,
SCRebel
I'm glad that worked out for you. I wonder if BC has updated the design to accommodate the newer rifles. I personally like the tight fit, as there is no need to bed. I also have a 196 series GB in a BC folding stock, and the groups shrunk considerably after getting it out of it's old wooden stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts